close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coleman Focus 5 Heater

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by MDH, Dec 16, 2009.

1. MDH

MDH

Hey guys,

I have a focus 5 heater, and i really like using it last season, until I couldn't screw a propane tank onto it anymore. Turns out the threads are all stripped. I was thinking about throwing it away, but I wanted to see if anyone on here knew of anyway to replace that part? Maybe someone on here knows how to fix that? Maybe if you think you could fix it and would like to have it, i'd sell it cheap? Any ideas?

Thanks,

MDH

2. adam bomb

adam bomb

If you can find someone with a die you could screw that on to recut the threads. Good luck finding replacement parts for those. Great heater, wish they woulda kept em going.

3. ih772

ih772

There's got to be someone out there with parts. Usually part of the burner breaks off and ends the life of the thing.

4. BOEDY

BOEDY Premium Member

I would have to think you could get it rethreaded, know any pipefitters, or maybe a plumber? good luck.....

5. up3fan

up3fan

I'd be interested if you want to sell it, I have one that needs the heating element on the end of the burner!

6. ih772

ih772

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

7. mudpuppie

mudpuppie

Great heaters. Not sure why they quit making them....must have been liability issues. A friend had one with a bad burner element. He used some screen material with high heat tolerance and formed an element that he attached with a small hose clamp. Looks ugly but works good.

8. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

They went the way of many fine products that got the kabosh because of Federal Safety Regulations and frivalus law suits. It lacked any type of safety feature that would shut it down/off should it tip over. ;)

They still get top dollar for these on Ebay. A few years ago you used to be able to find the burners on Ebay too. I seem to remember some here on the site had tried to come up with a replacement burner/bulb but it was deemed as not financially feasable. ;)

I just missed out on 2 a guy had on craigslist, one was brand new in the box. The guy wanted like $50.00 for both, if your a member here and reading this hoepfully you didnt get talked down and please dont kick yourself to hard. :bonk:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. Jigawhat

Jigawhat

:lol:
    Yeah, they are great heaters. A little on the louder side for hunting, but nice and compact for a small shanty. Mice love making homes under them as well!
    My uncle has a couple Coleman 5's and a busted 3-version that shoots a flame straight at you! :SHOCKED:I can see why they stopped making em. :lol:

10. Fish&GameWhisperer

Fish&GameWhisperer

I have a Focus 5 that the burner screen broke down on. You can have it for parts if you want it. You can still Find Focus 5's on eBay, but they aren't cheap. I switched over to a Focus 3 two years ago and love it. Plenty of heat for my shanty and fits in a bucket nicely. I wouldn't drag by Mr. Buddy out there anymore. Too bulky. Anyway, PM me if you want me to mail you the one I have.

11. Icecold77

Icecold77

12. Head Shot

Head Shot

Hello:
    I realize this is an old post but if anyones in need of repairs of a coleman focus 5 or focus 10 I do rebuild the burners and do repair the regulators and burn issues.
    I do have parts on hand for just about any heater problem you have or can repair or rebuild the burners . ( 8-24-2015 )
    I do at this time have new complete regulators and the rubber seal in the bottom of the screw in regulators input where bottle threads onto the heaters regulator- which takes only a 3/8 inch socket to un screw the brass input spud and peel the old cracked rubber seal out and drop in the new rubber seal and replace the brass spud as you took it out.
    Not much I cant fix on these so if its not run over by a truck its most likely repairable here.
    You can email me at eklb@mchsi.com with qestions etc.
    I also carry a few parts for the coleman focus 3 and the coleman BlackCat model number 5488 which looks like a focus 5 but has a 5000 BTU burner pad rather that the newer style now that uses a burner screen.
    I can send pictures of a rebuild so you can see just how well built they are and look better than any other design I have seen tried.
    Thank you for your time .
    Head Shot Eric
    Eklb@mchsi.com

13. Head Shot

Head Shot

Hello: New email addy now is > Eklb@smunet.net
    Still repairing the Coleman focus 5 and 10 heaters.
    Have many new parts yet and I am doing burner bulb repairs as a three layered high temp stainless steel design which out lasts original burners and is much more robust in strength than factory burners.
    If your heaters not burning right no burn or leaky on off hi lo regulator or you need the rubber seal up inside the regulator where the bottle seals against then im your guy.
    I bought out most of the coleman factory parts when they were being discontinued so as of 3-2-16 anyway theres not many parts I don't have to get your heater fixed if not new then I have good used parts but ill rebuild the burners on your tube or can build a bushing type you can put on yourself as a emergency fix it when needed type but its a single screen build and they have been out in use for over 10 years without a return burn out bulb so there good too but I prefer the 3 layer build onto your old burner tubes as its much stronger and does look cosmeticly better.
    I can email pictures to anyone wanting to see the two types.
    BE AWARE MY EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED FROM POST #12 ABOVE TO THE NEW ONE HERE IN POST #13 IS LISTED BELOW.
    If your reading in other posts a gentleman from iowa is mentioned they are referring to me.
    I have sold rebuilds and new burners on ebay as seller eklb years back but have not sold as seller for some time but im still on ebay .
    Eklb@smunet.net
    Thank you Eric

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  14. Head Shot

Head Shot

Hello
    Just an update.
    I'm now rebuilding the burners for Coleman Focus 3 / Focus 5 / Focus 10 / Focus 15
    heaters.
    Have majority of parts yet to repair most Focus heater issues.
    I posted a few pictures for you to get a better idea of what the rebuilds look like and even a focus 5 rebuild in test burn so you see what they look like and burn .
    Thank you
    Eric Eklb@smunet.net 1123161619.jpg 1231162230.jpg Coleman 5015A701 Rebuilt Burner.jpg 5440-751.jpg 5455-701.jpg

scottyhoover, msfcarp and Burksee like this.