close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coho with thundersticks??

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by meatfishhunter, Sep 12, 2017.

1. meatfishhunter

meatfishhunter

This was my first year throwing hard bait for salmon in the NW and had a ton of sucess with them on the kings. I was wondering if anyone ever does any good with them for ho's on the grand?

2. 357Maximum

357Maximum

The metallic shallow lipped Thunderstick Jr's normally work pretty good for me in frogwater and current seams in the Grand for da ho's, I am struggling a bit so far this year though. The smallmouth and crappie are liking them far more than normal this season however. :lol:

meatfishhunter likes this.

3. Pasquan

Pasquan

I haven't had luck with it this year either

4. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I typically don't look any further than spins or bob/guts...BUT I WILL NOW lol. Tnks for a view on new ways to catch ho's, much appreciated.

5. meatfishhunter

meatfishhunter

I'll definitely bring along the bobber rig but now atleast I know the thundersticks will be worth a shot thanks

6. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

My favorite coho lure is a 1/4oz hot n tot. Slow crank, pause, slow crank. I've had fish nearly swallow them.

IMG_0075.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. Trout King

Trout King

That is an old school go to right there bud. Don't see many people throwing those for kings or coho anymore, especially in that color.

357Maximum likes this.
  8. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I am sure there are a few guys that still do that. Of course those type of guys likely don't talk about it much. :sad:

9. Trout King

Trout King

There are tons of forgotten about lures, baits and tricks. Everyone reads what the best lure is on the internet and that is what you see on the river. The firetiger thunderstick is the perfect example. Lots of colors and lures work well in a variety of conditions, but if you go king fishing where there is still good numbers, most of the guys will be tossing firetiger thundersticks.

357Maximum likes this.
  10. 357Maximum

357Maximum

YEP, then there are guys that like to base their lure choice on water depth, run length, current speed, etc and some of them folks were taught old school lures and notice they still work and never stopped working and could care less what the internet recommends. Some of them folks might even pride themselves on doing it "old school" when they are alone with their own thoughts. That's the best part of fishing is the fact there is many many ways to skin that cat. I pulled up a snag with the anchor awhile back and it had two old Bomber Long A's in it's grasp. I likely spent more time and energy saving/resurrecting them plugs than most would have, but they are ready to fish again. It's the little things for some folks I guess. :lol:

mbirdsley, meatfishhunter and MickL like this.
  11. Benz

Benz

I haven't had much success with Thunder sticks or J-11-13's in the Grand this year for Coho or Kings. I've spent a few afternoons and evenings this year fishing the Grand pretty hard with sticks and so far I'm 0-2, 1 King and 1 Coho. Last night, I'm pretty sure my only hit was a foul hook on a coho on a J-13. I enjoy searching more than casting into a pod though, so I'll keep at it. Skein/bags can be killer but keeping the cats away is impossible in the frog water until the water really cools down.

Trout King likes this.
  12. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Good ole superman... used to kill the steel on that

Trout King likes this.
  13. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I caught my first non big lake chinook on a red and white el cheapo fake Daredevil as a youngin fishing for pike in a drowned rivermouth, ya just never know.

slowpaya likes this.
  14. Benz

Benz

Switched over to streamers today and landed a nice skam. Tons of fish still around, hopefully the kings start showing up soon.

15. concentroutin

concentroutin

I use hot-n-tots (1/4 oz) a lot for salmonids. Not usually big numbers, but the plug bite is really addicting, and if timed right you can have some outstanding days.

357Maximum likes this.