Coho run timing?

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by sgc, Sep 30, 2020.

1. sgc

sgc

Just approximately when do the Coho stop their runs at rivermouths on the Superior side and then again on the lake Michigan side? I'm trying to fit a trip into my schedule.

2. monjorrow

monjorrow

Following as well. I have some time off in Oct. and deer hunting isn't looking too promising.

3. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Last year at this time I had already caught 4 in the east end and caught 1 on Oct. 1st in the west end.

But this year I have only caught 1; last week at the mouth of the Brule, where it was otherwise slow and the expectations for this year, bit that is so far west you can see Minnesota across the way.

Tried twice at a mouth with mountains on the horizon on Sunday and Monday; nothing happening there yet.

Cold rains this week though, that will help.

On Superior river mouths I have had fun with bobbers down on Opening Day - 11-15, and caught Huron & Michigan Cohos in the first half of Nov. as well.

On Lake Michigan, DNR employees love to point out that the Little Manistee gets pods coming in as late as February. I have seen them in some nearby water that time of year.

4. Teggs

Teggs

The kings on both lake mich and superior are all in the rivers allready. last good push was this week. Adult cohos are in the river allready on lake michigan but smolts are still available in the lake. The fist big push of coho on superior was last wednesday, there are quite a few adults in the river now. the last of the coho on superior will all be in the river by the middle of october. your prime time to catch “fresh” coho on superior will be this weekend thru about oct 15. You can still catch them in the rivers until about Thanksgiving. your prime time on mich tribs for “fresh” coho was last week but you will still get dark ones for the next month or so. good luck or call superior outfitter if u need some more info.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    bborow2501 and Capt.WACO like this.
  5. sgc

sgc

Thanks. Thats the answer on timing I was looking for.

6. B.Jarvinen

Saw 1 Coho landed in Gogebic today, but that river takes a while to cool down.

I have fished & chatted with the guy that caught it before; he is a mate on a charter out of Black River Harbor. He said the west end Coho just returned in-shore last week, a bit later than normal.

Their creeks have natural Chinook now, as does the Brule. But Coho are the most numerous.

If anyone misses the Coho at the beach, the Steelies appear right along next.

I didn’t catch any Coho and mostly had the river to myself. Caught this instead:
    8D20DE07-3320-4893-A5A4-CDF7EB8F73BC.jpeg

7. B.Jarvinen

So here I am in the Coho thread again with a not-Coho picture. Fished a fair bit around the 2nd weekend in October as I had little choice but to limit mileage as I awaited parts&labor help for an axle clanging it’s way apart. After begging 2 other mechanics to help with that noise earlier this year. But they have little choice but to go with it-ain’t-broke-yet-so-we-won’t-fix-it approach as they are more swamped than ever before.

But this year in the west end it was the My Legs Get Tired river from standing on all the rock involved, and the hiking and climbing too.

After that one nice Brown on the 1st all I could manage was this fish:
    9AD97DEE-8D99-467D-8ACC-9028AD6BBAC6.jpeg

Not the longest Northern I have ever caught but definitely the thickest. Absolutely destroyed a standard silver&black Rapala, as in that lure will never fish again.

When you start fishing Superior river mouths, you never know what might happen. The stick baits tend to get the most action with those long fish.

But though I was there for what should have been the peak of the Coho run, they just weren’t around much this year. I will post some more on that soon, in a new thread. Me and my cousin ended up fishing stream trout in Wisco, where we each caught a single double digit Brookie at a beautiful waterfall too close to a county line - we found out later that segment was closed, but not explicitly listed that way, for that county. You think MI trout regs are complex...you need skills to get it right in Cheese land.

A friend of mine out that way who holds licenses in both states has been sending me updates; after my truck got fixed the action has really picked up. He has already caught about 10 Browns, 2 Steelhead, 1 Musky, 1 Coaster, and just one Coho.

I had to head on further east and though I did get one Snow Day to try wet lines on the Coaster Coast, I saw zero evidence of any fish on some little streams where you could simply observe Coho, if they were in...and met a couple down-hearted fishermen who could only report “none this year.”

bborow2501 and tda513 like this.
  8. B.Jarvinen

But today I was snowed out again, and that snow wasn’t gonna melt any time soon in the “Continental” portion of the U.P. It was time to head east, and hug that warm shoreline, where it only rains, so far.

So I hit up a favorite hole where the Coho seem grass fed as every other retrieve brings in a chunk of something green - so odd when fishing Coho. Back in September that hole couldn’t even hold a fish but water is up better now, though not quite as high as last year.

At the road there was an empty crawler container and a perfectly sealed donut snack cake thing sitting on it. So I ate the donut and hoped the Coho had avoided those crawlers...

I quickly caught my best Brook Trout of the fall, a solid 12-13. But not a fish to keep on a Type 4. And why was that Brookie holding in that hole so routinely visited by tourists? Where did it come from?

I had my suspicion there was a reason that Brookie was hanging around...

BEDA6BB2-9D2E-4902-8196-90F020EA01FD.jpeg

That is a small cooler; this one was a tad small for a Superior Coho at 21”.

Today’s DNR weekly fishing report calls some Coho “still somewhat silver” and this one seemed that way. But the first touch of the fillet knife revealed a loose egg ready to bust out. Flesh heading towards pale pink too.

I have seen some beauty males all red in November in the east end, and Coho pods just do their Coho thing when they do it. I will be checking out some more gravel this weekend though probably not fishing it. Overall though, those fishing reports this fall have always seemed to add the word “odd” to each mention of Coho, as in just not many caught this Fall.

But the best thing about tonight’s quick fish was...some excellent fresh bait for a rainy day tomorrow, when those nifty Superior Steelhead might be attracted to some waves I know that turn over in pure dark stream tannins.......

bborow2501 and JohnP123 like this.
  9. Teggs

Teggs

Nice fish, great reports glad to see someone keepin after them. That thick Northern looks like it is actually a Musky, very nice and rare catch for superior tribs (I could be wrong though ). Def was a very slow year for coho for everyone. We did pound quite a few on some select remote streams we had to travel for. Overall though my go to spots for coho this fall have just been poor at best. places i would go after work and always have action we’re just not getting great runs this year. getting a chance at 1-2 fish a day was pretty rough. Gravel is loaded with them now so been switching to steelhead. So far its been pretty descent, water is very cold and flowing great for this time of year. hoping this will pave the way for a good winter steelhead season.

Sparky23, concentroutin and gino like this.
  10. hypox

hypox

Last week I got in to a couple. All on hardware.
    IMG_20201011_150024640_HDR.jpg

bborow2501, tda513 and JohnP123 like this.
  11. Sparky23

Sparky23

12. B.Jarvinen

I have never caught a Musky. But I had the same thought - did I catch my first one?

The regulars out there helped me out - still Nope, but now I know where, when, and bait to throw towards my 10K casts for it. In fact that mouth is known for Musky spawning in the spring. “They stick out of the water.” Sounds like a tourist attraction; I hope to see it some day.

Spots = Northern

Bars = Musky

Here is a picture of a fish I didn’t catch, from same stream. Fish in from Superior are more pale than inland.

E2CD647B-8528-4AE9-BAD1-3CD94AD85E9C.jpeg

tda513 likes this.
  13. tda513

tda513

100% a musky, nice catch! Dark spots on a light background = musky, Light spots on a dark background = Pike. Musky come in both the bared and spotted variety (Northern Strain vs Great Lakes Strain).

B.Jarvinen and Fishnfreak like this.
  14. B.Jarvinen

Very interesting, thanks!

I might have had better luck figuring it out if I kept it, perhaps.

Will have to learn more about this. There are some rivers out that way with Muskies, which interests me more than fishing inland lakes.