Coho or Steelhead?

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by TripleB1986, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Coho

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. Steelhead

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. TripleB1986

TripleB1986

Ladies and gents, there has been some discussion on another board as to what species these fish are...so, COHO OR STEELHEAD, FOLKS?!

Attached Files:

2. Aidan Zubak

Aidan Zubak

3. nighttime

nighttime

I wish they planted coho in the Clinton, 10k???

GreasyBassin and mrblond like this.
  4. SJC

SJC

They don't clip coho...

5. nighttime

nighttime

Ok I’ll add to arguments, some spotting on lower tails point towards steelhead, although not completely clear as clipped fish has heavy clear spotting at top and not as clear on bottom. Anal fins point towards towards steel but hard to see in lowest point extends past base, also but again hard to tell from this picture. Usually get a some purple/pink reflections or that green back fresh chromer steel. Looks like young coho to me, not sure where general area they were caught?

6. nighttime

nighttime

7. SJC

SJC

I think it would really be a stretch for clipped coho planted in Indiana to end up all the way in southern Lake Huron. Still possible, but not nearly as possible as catching a clipped steelhead since all coho stocked in Lake Huron were not clipped.
    As far as I'm concerned the fish pictured are steelhead. Here's why besides the fact that, to me, they look like steelhead and not like coho: The length and shape of the anal fin is wrong for coho.

These are coho.

These are steelhead.
    Notice the difference in the length of the anal fins? It's pretty much a straight line from the tip of the fin to the base on steelhead. Chinook have the longest anal fin. Next is coho. Last is steelhead. Also, most coho the size of the fish pictured right now should be in spawn colors and the hens should be pretty ripe.

andyotto likes this.
  8. nighttime

nighttime

First glance I guessed steel but tail spotting is hard to tell also lack of over all spotting on top and thought maybe young ho’s which aren’t colored up this time of year. Also if caught in Huron I’d also highly doubt some would swim that far. All fish appear to be small in size not adults. Steelhead lowest spot of anal fins extends past base which is present. Not sure if coho get rays like one in picture also, call me human!!!!

9. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

10. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

Not to mention that those Indiana clipped coho were the 2017 yearclass... so they're probably all dead by now. And so even IF coho stocked in Indiana made their way over to Huron (unlikely), and even IF they weren't dead by now (unlikely), they'd be WAY bigger than those picture.

Plus they wouldn't have tail spots radiating in a straight line, lol

11. Fishndude

Fishndude

Those look like fresh chrome hen Steelhead to me, too. The heads look right for Steelhead.

fisheater, andyotto and o_mykiss like this.
  12. TripleB1986

TripleB1986

Not one of you has commentary about the color of their mouths? Quite surprising for this forum.

slowpaya, Macs13 and The Terminator like this.
  13. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

Not terribly surprising as there's no shot of the inside of the mouth

Fishndude likes this.
  14. TripleB1986

TripleB1986

You don’t see the black at the front of all those mouths?

slowpaya likes this.