Clothing- What would go on your list

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by Hunting18, Aug 21, 2020.

1. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

You hit it on the head.

I also just bought the corrugate guide lite pants, they are awesome. The perfect summer backpacking/fishing pant.

2. Deskjockey1

Deskjockey1

Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants are my Colorado archery elk go-to pants. Cheap and effective. I use olive green or a dark brown color.

3. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

First lite puffy!

Hunting18 likes this.
  4. WMU05

WMU05 Premium Member

Another vote for the First Lite puffy. I also wore their merino hoodie everyday of my last elk hunt.

DoubleJay, Hunting18 and brushbuster like this.
  5. DAW416

DAW416

6. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I don't have a lot of gear branded specifically for hunters unless it's something specific for hunting...as in not warming layers. I mean let's get real here...not many of us are on deck for our next sponsorship so there's no reason to hit the field with name brand hunting gear and a tag hanging out of our shirt with a dedicated go pro focused on it.

I used military surplus fleece a 100 and a 300 weight and moved on to rei branded primaloft jackets. The primaloft are a lot more packable than fleece if that's an issue. Otherwise, fleece is pretty efficient. I don't think they have the model of jackets I have are available anymore but I also have a brand name vests. Of course backpacking gear can have a (over) price premium too.

Hunting18 likes this.
  7. Skibum

Skibum Premium Member

I think you need to define what type of western hunting you plan on and what time of year? I can't think of any piece of clothing that is good for hiking in the mountains and for sitting in 0 degree temps. You'll either sweat or freeze to death. I will add an endorsement for the First Lite puffy. Great jacket. For later season hunting in the mountains I also love the Sitka Timberline pants. They have a waterproof seat which is really nice if you get some snow or if you are on a horseback hunt and are swinging into a wet saddle.

brushbuster likes this.
  8. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

Polypropylene hiking sock liners. I buy FOX RIVER brand on Amazon, 3 prs for $24. Very thin, super high quality, can be worn alone with lightweight hikers in the Fall, or just as a liner under wool boot socks for cold weather hiking or stand sitting. This fabric will wick moisture away from your feet and help keep them warm and dry.
    In addition, I pack a Merino Wool Knit hat that pretty much does the same thing; wicks moisture away and keeps your head warm. Good luck, be safe.

brushbuster likes this.
  9. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

I would highly recommend Columbia Gallatin Range wool, looks like they stopped making it. For the money that stuff is really good. I would look around for the best wool available.

Have a backpack that allows you to strap your clothes to it. I often carried my bibs on my pack. Extra socks are good too, switch them out when you sit.

Hand muff and warmers is a great tip. I like the Cabelas northern flight one a lot.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    aph likes this.
  10. SpartanGas

SpartanGas

I have a few reviews to give in my first trip out to western Montana (Bob Marshall Wilderness) for elk. Our hunt was from Oct 3-10. We had unseasonably warm weather for the first 5 days if our hunt into the high 70’s. We got one 6x6 elk. (Out of 4 hunters) Didn’t see much else until the last 2 days of our hunt, but never got a shot.
    1. I would 100% back Meindl boots for early season. I can’t say enough about my boots. I have injured my ankles in sports and activities before and wanted some firm boots...and Meindl Boots fit the bill. We humped up and down mountains. These boots stood the test and gave tremendous support on side, up, and down hills.
    2. First lite corrugate guide pants are excellent in warm/cool weather. They are not waterproof. Most comfortable pants I’ve ever worn hunting.
    3. I used my bow hunting stuff for most of our hunts. I had the Browning Hells Canyon sealed-seam waterproof top and bottom set. It did just fine on my hunt. We didn’t see much rain or snow. It we did see some temps in the 40’s on the the last few hunts. I had more clothing available but didn’t need it.
    4. We had snow the last day. My Kenetrek gaiters did well. I had problems with several other gaiter brands fitting over my calves. The Kenetreks fit great.

brushbuster likes this.
  11. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I like the fox river sock liners. I didn't wear liners the first night of my trip and noticed hot spots. Put on the liners every day after and never had hot spots again.

12. kroppe

kroppe

I have been a fan of the Cabela's MT050 line of camo. I have sat for 11 hours in 14 degree weather in it. Lots of pockets and reasonably well made. Gore Tex helps with light rain. I have had my set for 17 years, and just got my son his first set this year.