Clinton steelhead 2018

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by nighttime, Feb 7, 2018.

1. nighttime

nighttime

2. FirstDay

FirstDay

Hooked 6 fish so far this year on the centerpin and landed 4. Biggest was probably 5-6lbs, fat bright hen.

Lots of smaller fish this year eh?

3. nighttime

nighttime

Ive heard of a few bigger ones, one 12# but most have been smaller. Lost a big one last week, landed a couple in the 7-8# range.

4. Pikewhisperer

Pikewhisperer

Got a nice 10# + just before I went on vacation up north ice fishing. She was a beaut. Got her on a 3/8 oz nickel and blue Cleo

Munuscool likes this.
  5. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

We can keep this thread open so long as people don't start questioning those who are legally fishing.

Munuscool, James81071 and nighttime like this.
  6. FirstDay

FirstDay

Nice, where abouts did you go ice fishing? I'm pretty bad at guestimating fish weight.

[​IMG]

Munuscool and nighttime like this.
  7. nighttime

nighttime

I like the reel, guessing in pics can be hard. Looks to be smaller/ average size I’ve been seeing, 3#+ maybe 4. Big fish are out there, just not seeing as many as I used too. Looking forward to consistent fishing conditions and a lot less ice!!!

8. James81071

James81071

Do any of you know if there are new fish coming up river or does that not happen until the ice breaks up on the lakes? Are these all holdovers?

9. nighttime

nighttime

Probably a few moving in but mostly hold over fish from fall and early winter. Ice and the temps we’ve seen seems to slow things down far as new fish entering

10. Pikewhisperer

Pikewhisperer

I got the bigger on in the Dodge Park system that day.

11. Aodanc

Aodanc

How is the water at dodge park depth wise? I know there are some spots at riverbend that get pretty deep but I've never been to dodge park

12. Downsea

Downsea Premium Member

I really like these threads about the Clinton. I grew up in Auburn Heights in the 60s and now people are catching nice steelhead in it. Blows my mind. It's really great to see!

13. nighttime

nighttime

So many deep runs in the Clinton, from riverbends, Utica, and Sterling Heights. I feel that there’s so many places these fish can hide that sometimes it makes it tough to fish unless you cover water. Few holes I would consider go to ground or at least a good starting point. With so much access thru Shelby, Utica and Sterling Heights few people give it a try. I’ve had success in all these areas and continue to find runs that I still haven’t fished. I have seen an increase of angler activity in last few years in all these areas, good to see the resource is being used more as it should. This is overall the cleanest I’ve seen the river banks maybe ever. Thanks to bank restoration grants from feds. Pack out what you bring in helps. Good luck

Ps please report any lake run browns or Atlantic salmon to dnr. I encourage people to send thoughts and catches into southeast fish biologist.

Eric

14. Aodanc

Aodanc

Thanks for the reply, I've been trying my luck in the river for about two months now (have never caught a steelhead so I'm pretty new to steelhead fishing) but I love reading these threads because they give me a good idea of what people are using and how to use my gear a little better to help me get a beautiful piece of chrome under my belt. I will be going out tomorrow morning around 7 for a few hours before work and am pretty excited about it.

15. LoganStaley

LoganStaley

Hoping to get out soon to try my centerpin out for a 2nd time. Tried using spawn back in january at yates with no success. Maybe a jig will work better.. this warm up we have coming should push more fish into the river for sure ..