Clinton River Steelhead 2020

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Gabe T, Sep 5, 2019.

1. seabass810

seabass810 Premium Member

Dont some schools have programs that put kings in the Clinton. Not sure if they would be clipped though

2. SJC

SJC

I believe there was some Salmon in the Classroom plants and they would be clipped.

3. Aidan Zubak

Aidan Zubak

Hey guys I was planning on trying for some steelhead next week. I like to use blue fox spinners. What size do you guys recommend?

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

Sorry, the Kings I saw where in Alpena, in the Thunder Bay River. Likely some strays from the plants @ Rogers City/Swan Creek. But probably some naturally spawned fish, too.

5. nighttime

nighttime

No clips on salmon in classroom is what biologists told me that was couple years ago when I found ad clip hen king dead. Also said no clipped salmon stocked in Clinton. Now I don’t think last year’s salmon in classroom actually made it in river. Also hard to find numbers as they’ve increased. 2018 was around couple thousand, the most ever raised in local classrooms. Judging by the photo’s in articles different locations were used.
    Although the mass marking program for steelhead and salmon was largely first focused on king salmon with all stocked kings being clipped that has changed some. With a lot more info gained on chinooks in Great Lakes the program is heavily focused on steelhead and not clipping all kings but quite a few.

6. TroutFishingBear

TroutFishingBear

I like #3 or #4 blue fox, and they are the best spinners (Panther martins second). There are more accomplished steelhead anglers than me though, to say the least, so I'd like to hear from them as well!

Aidan Zubak and The Terminator like this.
  7. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Metro west Steelheaders sponsors a handful of salmon in the classroom programs. I forget the exact count, but we had 4-5 schools each raise and release 100-150 each in 2018. Little less in 2017 and 2019 from memory. 2020 of course was a bit more of a bust but a smaller number was still released. None of the salmon in the classroom are clipped. There are at least a couple other classrooms that we don’t sponsor that release in the Clinton as well. I’m not privy to their counts but they also wouldn’t be clipped.

TroutFishingBear and nighttime like this.
  8. Kong Davis

Kong Davis

I've only used spinners out west in Idaho and Oregon. You can catch'm on pretty much any size, but #3 & #4s will match well to the Clinton's currents and eddy lines well. My experience is that any spinner brand works. I'll try a few different spinners today after I crank for a while.

9. Kong Davis

Kong Davis

Good day on the water despite conditions. Met a fella using spawn bags and he said it was slow, so I downsized everything before I started.#2s were the ticket; #3s woulda prolly worked too, but I didn't get any lunkers today. #4s gotta burn too fast for the slow bite. Mebbe when it picks up they'll work.
    I only had a couple bites, so I can't say what colors or brands really worked.

Aidan Zubak likes this.
  10. Aidan Zubak

Aidan Zubak

I'm going to go out on Monday. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully my dad and I can pull one out

11. CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

Got on the river yesterday for 30 minutes after cleaning all the leaves at my fathers house. Spoke to some guys and they mentioned someone pulled one out earlier yesterday at Yates. Looks like they’re starting to trickle in. This snow/cold should move things around, and hopefully not just the leaves

12. Ricky Bubbles

Ricky Bubbles

So let me ask y'all this. On a river that's difficult like the Clinton, are you guys sight fishing and / or spotting the steelhead and trout, or blinding fishing the holes, pools, runs, etc? Do you guys actually see trout or steelhead in the river before you cast to them?

I've always basically fished "blind" but not sure if I'm wasting my time and if I should try spotting the trout / steelhead before casting to them, or just fishing the deep, dark spots.

Any input appreciated.

13. tincanary

tincanary

I've sight fished them on light tackle on a few occasions but I usually look for the deeper and darker pools. Most of the time when I see one, it's cruising to another hole somewhere. The Clinton isn't a river you want to devote too much time to a single hole. If you don't hook up within 5 or 10 casts, move on to the next.

14. Burz

Burz

I've never seen a steelhead before I make a cast. If an area looks fishy I fish it. Clinton is tough. I heard someone say on here before that it takes 40 hours of fishing to get a bite.

15. Burz

Burz

If you are new to the river demonstrating patience is critical. There are steelhead in there but it requires work and time. Stick and move is the way but also be confident that you have "covered" the area before moving