Clinton River Steelhead 2020

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Gabe T, Sep 5, 2019.

1. troutbum248

troutbum248

woooo hoooo!

2. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

I’ve never fished it but I think I’m gonna check it out Saturday and will report back.

TroutFishingBear likes this.

3. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

Well not much to talk about yet. Water seems low and never saw a fish down there. I did find another access spot which I’ll head to next time. Yates cider mill was insane!!!! Whenever that shuts down I’ll go back lol

4. LoganStaley

LoganStaley

Caught this hen out of the clinton today. Pretty sure it's a chinook. Adipose fin was clipped. I believe canada stocks kings in huron still.

Attached Files:

5. nighttime

nighttime

Yes king, several reports of them last couple weeks

fisheater likes this.
  6. michcats

michcats

Nice i was at lexington all day floating skein and throwing everything and only had 2 bites pry should have tried clinton

The Terminator likes this.
  7. nighttime

nighttime

Pretty sure your right about clip being Canadian. Found one dead two years ago below Yates. Clipped also

8. The Terminator

The Terminator

Sarnia Blue Water anglers stocks them. Couple also caught in Lexington harbor in last 3 weeks. Fluke catches, not a fishery one can target. I caught an 8 lb King trolling out of Sanilac in June...not a common catch

9. SJC

SJC

I believe that these plants are not clipped. At least that's what I've been told. My buddy caught a clipped king in Lexington a couple years ago and turned the head in. It was planted in northern lake Huron, Swan river.

10. nighttime

nighttime

could be either. It your right about swan.

Attached Files:

11. LoganStaley

LoganStaley

Was very surprised to see a fin clipped. Surprised to find the salmon in general. Based on what I've read Ontario gets a lot of wild kings in lake huron. Plus a bit of stocking of course. They don't get nearly as big as lake Michigan kings but they still push 20 and sometimes bigger. (Based on some pictures and articles.) Does the MI DNR clip the fins on kings?

12. SJC

SJC

All US chinook plants in lakes Michigan and Huron are clipped.

LoganStaley and The Terminator like this.
  13. Fishndude

Fishndude

I was in Alpena a couple weeks ago, and saw quite a few Kings jumping, and rolling below 9th St dam. I also saw some really large hens spawning, watching off the bridge. Probably 20# fish, before their tails turned white. It was good to see Kings there, again. I talked to a local guy I used to know, and he said a handful of Cohos had been caught to-date, and there were some Atlantics around. But not large numbers of either. This is the year the planted Cohos should be returning in force. Perhaps the run is happening now, or yet to come. It would be sad if there wasn't a noticeable return from the plant they made a couple years ago.

The water was super-high, compared to what we got used to after 2000. I considered taking my motorized river boat up there, to fish the dead water in front of the flood gates. But it was a long drive from our cabin, and I wasn't really interested in fighting Boot Kings. Where we used to wade up, is probably at least 5 feet deep, right now. The high water should be fantastic for spring Walleye spawning, and hatching.

LoganStaley likes this.
  14. The Terminator

The Terminator

7FFE590D-A86A-4E7D-A5E7-D4DAE6F9AC2A.jpeg Checked the fin on my Sanilac King...not clipped- wild or Ontario stocked
    thanks...btw, checked my of the Sanilac King...not clippe

LoganStaley and SJC like this.
  15. LoganStaley

LoganStaley

Pretty cool to still have kings around. Some is better than none in southeast Michigan!

concentroutin and The Terminator like this.