Clinton River Article

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by psycodad, Nov 26, 2020.

1. psycodad

psycodad

detroitjim and HowlingTrout like this.
  2. nighttime

nighttime

Please anglers voice your interest in this fishery. With 3 million people between the two county’s it goes through, It provides excellent opportunity to get outdoors and wet a line. Also one huge thing is the overall access available, trails and public land provide countless miles. Call and ask to increase the plants!!!

Attached Files:

Eyecon, TroutFishingBear and psycodad like this.

3. psycodad

psycodad

Thanks I especially am interested in getting plants into the north branch. It is a stunningly beautiful petit river that would fish well with a small plant

4. Silverexpress

Silverexpress

Awesome article! Interested in voicing my interest. Who do I need to call???

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  5. psycodad

psycodad

Nighttime posted a picture with the se Mi fisheries biologist contact info in this thread. Please call.

nighttime likes this.
  6. detroitjim

detroitjim

Seem to remember this article. Do recall seeing many more anglers after its publication. Early memories of visiting Yates cider mill(late 60’s) , were the multitude of signs “POLLUTED WATER” posted along its banks . Although it is a lot cleaner today , the stink of sewage plant effluent still eminates. Especially around the dam as two Pontiac wastewater treatment facilities contribute to its flow.

psycodad likes this.
  7. nighttime

nighttime

Unfortunately for Clinton it’s situated in urban area and it has several areas the treat water. Two in Oakland. 50% of the water has been treated in main branch. Sucks but true, the gem is truly paint

8. detroitjim

detroitjim

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    psycodad likes this.
  9. psycodad

psycodad

You may also recall that the dnr surveyed the Clinton Belle and Mill Creek after the publication of this article and the result was fish were moved from the others into the Clinton. Fwiiw I spent a lot of time placing questionnaires that year and the hope is we can get more fish planted with the all the interest in the fishery.

10. detroitjim

detroitjim

I'm with you . Rivers , creeks and streams offer better opportunities for anglers.
    Especially for those that don't own any watercraft.

Obviously , before planting more fish, biologists would have to determine if the Clinton is capable of sustaining a larger fish population.
    Unless you're reasoning is ... just plant more they'll catch more fish bowl management technique.(Nothing wrong with that until the resource is wasted) Report 39 2001-2002 sampling sites.jpg

psycodad likes this.
  11. nighttime

nighttime

Asked biologist last year about belle, also mentioned its a ditch with little access. Cleyo is on board to improve numbers and understands it growing popularity. Although belle moved to Clinton we won’t see any additional numbers till mass study is ended that’s 2022. Really should be 45-50k minimum, most populous part of state. No shortage of willing anglers last few years, I pray for ICE!

12. BOadventures

BOadventures

If they plant the north branch that doesn't guarantee they will return . I'm sure they chose there plant site by a few factors including low water table data and avg water temp and decided that is that safest place to plant fry . Aside from planting the water has to be favorable every year for those fish to push up that far . I agree it would be awesome if I could catch stlhd by the house I grew up in nobody fishes it but it's prolly not realistic .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. nighttime

nighttime

North branch probably won’t see plants do to access and really the low end is very low oxygenated water and just don’t have the current that steelhead truly need. Even when they’ve did fall stocking there many of those that did survive ended up in main branch where survival is much better. Not saying that some steelhead aren’t present or around mill but plants are better off in main branch for survival. Main branch also offers probably some of the best access you’ll ever see on a steelhead river maybe in the state. Paved trails everywhere, one can ride a skateboard from hole to hole in many places if wanted. I do look forward to improved access around mill area and new flood plan from county to come in play. North branch at one point was excellent pike fishery maybe they’ll come back in numbers as things improve.

14. BOadventures

BOadventures

Can you elaborate on this flood plan ? Are they gonna attempt to control influx of drainage water ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. nighttime

nighttime

County is working on flood plan, most likely to control some of the run off do to suburban development. Most likely will see some storm drains change and more natural plantings and possible catch areas to help filter the quick run off. These are just my guesses as they were still working on plan when I was I informed about current project. Wolcott will get improved access just don’t know when.