Climbers for Big Guys- Looking for Advice or Reviews

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by WhitetailNWalleye, Oct 29, 2020.

1. WhitetailNWalleye

WhitetailNWalleye

I have never really been interested in climbers in the past because of my size. I'm around 6'2" and 320lbs. I was always told they "weren't for big guys" or just aren't safe. After doing some research the last couple of nights I feel like they can be relatively safe as long as I use the proper protective equipment. I was thinking about the summit titan sd. I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the stand, and what they think about it as far as safety, comfort, and usability. Or if there are any guys who use different climbers they would recommend for a bigger guy, I'm open to suggestions. I'm also looking for any tips or tricks you guys have learned for setting up, like what kind of harness I might want, and any other ropes, hooks or gear I might want to pack along.

2. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

6'4 just under 300 here. I use the stand your asking about. Have no issues going up but coming down i struggle with. Pretty sure if I practiced more I wouldn't struggle.

3. Bucman

Bucman

How the hell do you mammoths hide in a tree? :D

4. Tom Fine

Tom Fine

I use the Equalizer. Great climber and have been using it for ten years. Not sure what the weight capacity is. Climbers can be tough if you have long walks or going through thick brush. Plan on giving yourself an extra five to ten minutes to go up and down a tree and to pack up. Also you will make a little more noise than if you climbed up to a fixed stand. Good luck.

WhitetailNWalleye likes this.
  5. WhitetailNWalleye

WhitetailNWalleye

Lol big oaks or big maples, preferably in clusters of trees. Not gonna lie, picking a tree can be tough for me.

stickbow shooter and jr28schalm like this.
  6. WhitetailNWalleye

WhitetailNWalleye

What do you struggle with coming down? That is actually where I worry the most.

7. WhitetailNWalleye

WhitetailNWalleye

I'll have to check it out, I don't think it popped up on my search for climbers with 350lb weight capacities though. Thanks for the advice with the extra time.

8. Tom Fine

Tom Fine

No problem. You have to order them. Last I knew they didn’t sell them in stores. It also has a level mechanism to straighten yourself. I highly recommend it if it works for you.

9. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I got big hoofs and they just don't work like they use to.. practice and you be fine

10. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

The same way I hide under a married woman's bed when her better half comes home. SUCK IT IN

11. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

My dad is 320 and he using a summit stand made for big guys, pretty sure it is the titan also. He loves it.

12. I don’t know how close you are to me but I have this one that is brand new if you want to try one out before you buy it. I bought it at cabelas last year thinking I could do it with the foot stirrups. With my bad leg it was a no go. I may end up just setting it up somewhere and running sticks up to it. I can’t return it because cabelas don’t return stands. But I’m not using it right now and I would be happy to loan it to you so you can try one out. The only difference between mine and the one your looking at is the platform is a little bigger on the one you want. But you could play with mine and see if you like it or not and [​IMG]
    probably get yours at discount once the season is over if you like the summit. It is a very nice stand. I have a lone wolf hand climber I used to use frequently before I severed my leg. Now I use that one like a hang on too. It’s the best stand I’ve ever owned hands down. But your more then welcome to try out my summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Shawnxbow

Shawnxbow

6’2 280 have to Goliath want the titan but it works. Look up third hand archery. I made the straps for front to back stabilizers work awesome. I feel safer in my climber that any other stand I have used. And once I put the straps on last year it was game on. Been using a climber for 20 years.
    Just take your time going up and down that’s all I do not rush it. I could climb 20 ft in 2 mins or down but I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

14. Shawnxbow

Shawnxbow

MichMac and WhitetailNWalleye like this.
  15. Don’tgoenough

Don’tgoenough

Old man used to make really good climbers but I haven’t seen them around for a few years so they were probably bought out by one of the others. Being a big guy myself at almost 6’4” and pushing 400 back in the day I researched climbers and bought “the grand ole’ man which had a rating of either 400 or 450#. I used it but I used it sparingly because of a fear of heights and not being the most nimble and agile person in the world. It would take me longer to ascend a tree but I always wore a harness up, in and down the tree. Slid the tether up as high as I could reach and climb to it secure that stand good then loosen the tether and back up as high as I could reach again until I was at a height I felt comfortable at. I had a 25’ length of rope attached to the top section and I believe only once did I ever have it lift my bow off the ground at all. I never felt like the stand was going to fail or that I was going to fall. Ash trees were the best to climb because they were straight without a lot of low limbs and had a soft bark that the claws really gripped into. I still have it and haven’t used it in probably 7-8 years. I should probably get it out and check everything out on it to make sure it’s all still solid and Change the netting on the seat.