close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning Goldeneyes

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by ERnurse, Nov 12, 2017.

1. ERnurse

ERnurse

Hi all!

I wanted to ask what everyones experience is on cleaning Goldeneyes. Shot a couple 2 days ago and had a heck of a time breasting them out. Unlike mallards and widgeon which is what I mainly shoot here (living in Alaska now), I had a hard time peeling the skin off of the breast meat.

They were cold when I got around to cleaning them, wonder if I should have cleaned them out in the field while still warm?

Thanks for any input

2. Big Skip

Big Skip

They are a bastard...its not just you

adam bomb likes this.

3. flighthunter

flighthunter

it's easier when they are warm, but a very sharp knife and a piece of paper towel to help get a hold of the skin helps too.

PA BUCK 2 likes this.
  4. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

Let them hang for a few days in the cold (but not freezing)

5. Divers Down

Divers Down

I never heard of anybody eating a GE.

6. Kennybks

Kennybks

Lol, I think I recall a good GE recipe involving a cinder block and a 2 X 4? :eek:

7. ERnurse

ERnurse

They were quite tasty. It is dependent on what they are eating. Now the Harlequins- although they are beautiful -are terrible to eat!

dinoday and PA BUCK 2 like this.
  8. andyotto

andyotto

9. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Season breast meat with your favorite seasonings, more garlic the better. Cover breast completey with a generous amount of clay. Toss on grill(high heat) for about 15 minutes. Pull it off the grill, let it cool down. Remove breast, discard them and eat the clay. Best merg recipe

I wouldn't go as far as saying goldeneyes are that horrible, definitely not my favorite to eat. Garlic and bacon makes everything taste great.

10. Fowl Play

Fowl Play

Those are tough to kill and even tougher to clean.

11. duckaddict

duckaddict

Also depends on how hungry you are. It’s all relative. I’d say worms don’t taste good, but until you’re in the woods for a week without food, I bet you they taste like a filet mignon.

ma1979 likes this.
  12. MasterBaiters

MasterBaiters

well a diver is a diver and they are all bout the same,cept ive avoided mergs and coots which id classify as something other than a duck,waste of a good shell,maybe fu fu arrows or a carp shooting set up would be fun,iam sure that's illegal like other forms of fun,but dang that d be fun!!! lol

13. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

I like to save em up and/or combine them with friends' that they've saved up and make sausage out of them. We made a batch with mostly old squaw and a bunch of various divers and it turned out great

14. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

When you breast out a duck you want to skin, are you cutting the breast away down the center, slicing it away from the bone, and then cutting the meat away from the skin from inside?

Everybody has thier different way of doing it...but this way i've never had a hard time getting a skinless fillet. -best to use a sharp fillet knife

Here's a video of the way i do it....this guy plucked alot of feathers that weren't neccesary and his cuts were sloppy, leaving alot of meat on the bone....but that's the technique.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  15. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

That’s exactly how I do it. Easy as can be