close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning fish in winter

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by jimbo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Indeed!

I've known SiXXX a while and he's spot - ON.

I clean anything we're going to eat , dump fish in the sink, a curly maple cutting board I made at the shop at least 15+ yrs ago and since I live OUT of the city - I can drop my bag of fish guts in the compost any time of the year, because crows gotta eat too!:eek:

Clean up your mess & be respectful of each other. ;)

Scout 2 and 6Speed like this.
  2. Diehr

Diehr

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/big-norm-fish-scaler?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions
    This is the scaler I use very little mess a couple swipes and it's done.

3. sfw1960

4. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

It's rare I scale fish anymore but when I do the tablespoon under water idea is how I do it.

My dad broke me in on fish scaling when I was about five years old. If you're gonna kill it, you gotta clean it and eat it.

Scout 2, jiggin is livin and sfw1960 like this.
  5. Zofchak

Zofchak

jiggin is livin likes this.
  6. WANNABEFISHIN

WANNABEFISHIN

Bought one of those cleaning boards the fit on my ice bucket . put a plastic bag in there push the guts right in the bucket when finished .

7. Scout 2

Scout 2

I have a stainless steel counter in the basement that I use. I installed a small sink on one end and I clean it up good after use. I wipe down with a bleach solution a couple of time a season

8. Bucket filler

Bucket filler

I like cardboard, doesn't stick to fish like news paper

9. dimescfh

dimescfh

I bought a small section of countertop from Menards. They have a stack of blemished or chipped ones, I think I paid 15$. I set the countertop on my toolbox and clean away. Wipe up the mess and spray down with disinfectant. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1512906860.672199.jpg

10. sfw1960

Laminate is hell on your cutting edge - I have been producing programs for a contract office furniture manufacturer for over 10 years and been that route.

Too much resharpening for my use or liking!

I have 5 of these on ice I am going to clean INSIDE on a curly maple cutting board later today!

:mischeif:

[​IMG]

6Speed and TK81 like this.
  11. d_rek

d_rek

I bring them inside. I won’t go I i details how I set everything up but I will say if you can’t get everything cleaned up to the point where someone notices you gutted fish inside you’re either a savage or lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  12. TK81

TK81

Stop by a Menards, a Tractor Supply, or even a Meijer every couple weeks and get yourself a stash. Nobody will care if you take 5 free copies of the local paper in the entry way.

I thought I was in the same boat as you as I stopped subscribing to the local rag (GR Press) about 7 or 8 years ago. My wife bought me a big cutting board (18 x 30) and now I do them on that right on the kitchen counter. I do a lot of gills in the winter and I still use a bit of newspaper (or flyers) when scaling. The rest of my fish are skinned and filleted and I no longer need any paper. Like others have said, 5 gallon pail lined with a couple plastic grocery bags for the guts / carcasses. Wipe down the cutting board with a few paper towels first, then a wash cloth. This board is only for fish cleaning.
    upload_2017-12-10_8-40-13.png

13. TK81

TK81

How does the Bicco work on perch? I would rather leave the skin on the perch, but I hate manually scaling those guys.

14. TK81

TK81

Tablespoons work great for gills and small specks (I skin the bigger specks), but not so much on perch. I got so tired of scaling perch with a spoon that I have been skinning them for the last ten years or so. I gotta try one of those Biccos or Norms. I've thought about one of the tumblers...but never pulled the trigger.

Nice box of eyes. One of these years...I am going to make that happen!

15. jimbo

jimbo

Fare. But nothing works on those tight scales. I love it for gills, but skin most on my perch

TK81 likes this.