close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning fish in winter

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by jimbo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006

Maybe that's how my wife finds them lol...she can also pick out a toe nail clipping from a mile away. Eagle eye.

I will freeze outside instead of being the one filleted!

msfcarp and jiggin is livin like this.
  2. matinc

matinc

Exactly I clean my fish in the pole barn and I cook my fish in the pole barn. Even if it's ten below. How nasty to get the odor in the house.

PerchPatrol, UBDSLO1 and sureshot006 like this.

3. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

Sometimes I freeze the carcasses if it's too hot outside for the trash.

DecoySlayer, Bob D and sureshot006 like this.
  4. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

Lol she probably tells you to get the laundry folded while she cleans the fish.

fishinfanatic19 and 357Maximum like this.
  5. hoffie1

hoffie1 Premium Member

I also use cardboard for cleaning. I cut a few pieces to card table size/leave in garage until needed. Also clean my fish in the garage(heated)so I do not get the evil eye.:D

sureshot006 likes this.
  6. Odabe1530

Odabe1530

I like scale a few batches that were caught thru the ice . I use a shallow tray from an old refrigerator with enough water to cover the fish when I scale them. This prevents the scales from flying all over the place, & washes off the slime. When the water starts to get dirty, I dump that into a 5 gallon pail & start over with the next batch of fish. When I'm done I just dump the water with the scales out on one of the trees. I use a cutting board with paper underneath it to fillet. When the fillets have been removed, they go into a container with clean water & the carcass goes into one of those store bags (doubled) that is the liner of another 5 gallon pail. This goes into the freezer until trash day as mentioned.

TK81 likes this.
  7. cropido

cropido

I really like the way 6speed put it. Seems the issue is not so much where and how you clean fish as long as you are cleaning things up properly. For the life of me I just don't get the " my wife wont let me or ... wife said I can't go ... ect. I would never try to control my wife with a you can't do this or that comment. Freedom and autonomy is crucial in my marriage. As such ... we compliment each other and full support is how we roll. Felt compelled to add my 2 cents. Cardboard by the way works well for me.

6Speed likes this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006

I don't try to control mine either. She just doesn't want me making a mess in the house no matter how well I clean up. Says she gets nauseous just thinking about all the scales everywhere at the neighbors house when she was growing up.

She doesn't tell me I CAN'T fish... but for some reason there's always a giant side dish of guilt when I do something on my own. Probably the "sigh... do what you want". Lol... Didn't see that coming 10 yrs ago.

9. jimbo

jimbo

heck, we just spent a crap load of money on the kitchen a few years ago. I don't want a slimy scaly mess in there either, so Iv'e always cleaned my fish in the work shop downstair in the winter.
    My thing is, I used to clean then on news paper, hoping the slim would be caught in that, rather than soak into the wooden bench top. a few scales down there won't kill me, but the smell of rotten fish would.
    think I'll just look for a lrg plastic tote lid.

10. bobberbill

bobberbill

I clean all my fish outside in the spring, summer, and fall on the patio table. Winter time I clean them in my shop. I have an old hospital serving tray, some newspapers. I filet all of mine, so there's not much mess. I toss the offal in the woods. It's always gone by morning. I've set my trail cam up and found fox, coons, possums, and cats all have a treat. Nothing is ever left. My wife loves fish. I could clean them on the kitchen table and she wouldn't say a thing. I clean my mess up. A few dried scales on the floor don't hurt anything. The vac finds them.

11. Randal Shuler

Randal Shuler

My wife just uses one of those plastic antibacterial cutting boards. Then cleans up her mess when she is done. It's that simple.

jimbo and plugger like this.
  12. Bob D

Bob D

Pretty much what I do. I have this place in my house with counters at the right height to prep my food. I call it a kitchen.

I do like to wrap my fish in newspaper and clean them the next do though if I don't get to it right away.

13. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Been using paper grocery sacks for years, but got a folding fish cleaning bench from Franks with the little sink on the end and have never looked back. If your not using a Bicco scaler on panfish your also missing out, no flying scales and only a pass or 3 on each side and done.

14. jimbo

jimbo

Love that scaler. But I need to find a new one as I've worn the edge out quite a few times & have had to sharpen it with a half round file

15. Smallie12

Smallie12

Freezing carcasses is the way I do it too, especially in the summer after cleaning 'eyes' when trash isn't being picked up any time soon. Just put the junk in a couple plastic bags from groceries and keep in freezer til trash goes out, no smell for you or the garbage man. I clean outside in summer and in kitchen in winter but just clean thoroughly keeping fish in bucket until I clean one which is on newspaper but we always have a ton of those. Paper bags would work too. I like several layers so that I can toss the top layer as slime builds up. I'll admit though, I do find a scale once in a while a day or two later. Amazing how far those things will fly and where they'll land. Heck sometimes I'll wash my hands and shower and find one still stuck to my hand the next day, lol.

jiggin is livin likes this.