close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning fish in winter

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by jimbo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. msfcarp

msfcarp

Bleach is your friend lol! Your wife sounds like mine! I mostly clean fish in my shop but when I do use the kitchen I am diligent with my cleanup, but I don’t scale either!

sureshot006 likes this.
  2. sureshot006

sureshot006

Man I could wipe down and inspect the area like I was looking for a lost diamond to make sure I got every last scale and she would walk by and say "what did you do?!?!" Umm... Nothing? "There's a fish scale here I know what you did!" Lmao

I guess I should stick to catfish

Jr.BowmanMI and msfcarp like this.

3. Mr. Botek

Mr. Botek

I see a few mention the slime on fish. As someone whose only fishing through the ice is with a spear for pike, I know slime, and how to prevent it being a problem.

Put your catch in a burlap sack. The burlap soaks up the slime and your fish will be clean handling. When the sack gets too saturated with slime, pitch it and get a new one.

Without the slime, fish cleaning is far less messy. I can do all of my pike on the kitchen counter on a pre-cut piece of luaun or thin plywood.

4. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

That's close to the arrangement I've got with mine. I stand out on the ice, I scale and filet the results, she gets to clean up the mess afterwards. She likes eating bluegills as much as I do, and she knows the neighbor would get the end result if she didn't pitch in with the effort.

5. wateroperator

wateroperator

Exactly what I do also.

6. Junto beans

Junto beans

IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0310.JPG I clean all of my fish in the kitchen. I dump them all in the kitchen sink, and go to work. The key is when I am done the kitchen is always cleaner than when I started! I've never had my wife say a thing.

TK81, d_rek and Bob D like this.
  7. rockandtroll

rockandtroll

Thanks for that tip Mr. Botek. I will certainly give that a test this winter. Good luck with the spear this upcoming hard water season.

Mr. Botek likes this.
  8. Mr. Botek

Mr. Botek

One thing that was hard for me to not feel odd about when I started using burlap was how dry the fish are when you pull them out. I mean DRY, as in how they feel when they've been left out of water too long. You have to remind yourself that they aren't spoiled and the meats not ruined (you've kept them cold) they're just slime free. Hope you have as good as results as I've had.

I want to add for clarity that it doesn't dry the meat out, just the outside.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    jiggin is livin and rockandtroll like this.
  9. matinc

matinc

Why would you scale any fish. That's nasty.

Mr. Botek likes this.
  10. Mr. Botek

Mr. Botek

We used to eat them scaled as kids, my uncle didn't know how to fillet, and my memory told me they were great. So a couple of years ago I talked my wife into letting me scale a batch of gills instead of fillet. As it turns out my memory has lost its taste, lol! It'll always be fillets!

11. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

That's what I do

12. matinc

matinc

If you want the best panfish fillets skin them out and then lay them flat. Cut just above and below the lateral line thereby removing the nasty tasting back fat and the small pin bones. You get two premo fillets. Best tasting ever. If any anyone says it wasting fish tell them here's some blood ddt and nasty stuff. It takes extra five seconds but your fillet is a 1000 times better

Mr. Botek likes this.
  13. jimbo

jimbo

if I did mine in the kitchen, I'd have to clean up before & after

14. jimbo

jimbo

reminds of of a camping trip my parents took us in back in the mid 70s.
    Dad had frozen some turtle soup in an old milk carton to take camping.
    Mom also used milk carton to freeze garbage so it wouldnt stink.
    yep, someone grabbed the garbage instead of the turtle soup

15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

My wife likes fish as much as I do. I clean them, all year around, in the kitchen, unless I am fishing Sterling. Then I use that cleaning station, when it works.

I clean up as best I can, then wait a few hours. Any scales that I might have missed dry out and curl up. Then they are easy to find and get rid of.