close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning fish in winter

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by jimbo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. jimbo

jimbo

It took me a long time, but I realized last winter that one of the few reason we got the newspaper was to clean fish on them in the winter. So we canceled it. Now with winter coming up, I've been thinking what else to use.
    I will be scaling & filleting on a workbench in the basement. Without newspaper, fish slime will soak into the wood and smell.
    Any ideas?

2. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

I use pizza boxes. Open the box, clean fish on the lid and put carcasses and skins in the box. When done, close the box and freeze it until trash day. In the winter it could go straight into the trash.

jstfish48162, Jimbo 09 and Groundsize like this.

3. hommer23

hommer23

Try wax paper, if it slides to much use a couple spring clips to hold it in place.

4. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Recycling centers have lots of paper....One insulation company keeps a trailer in a local lot for newspapers.
    Local free " papers" are often on racks in grocery or convienence stores near the doors.

TK81 likes this.
  5. JBhunter45

JBhunter45

Cabela's flyers, seriously.

Johnnydeerhunt likes this.
  6. jimbo

jimbo

we dont buy pizzas or get enough fliers.
    i may try finding a large rubber mat somewhere that I can wipe down & rinse off in the utility tub

7. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

Meijers or any of the large grocery stores will have large mats in their home/kitchen sections. If not, try car floor mats in the auto departments.

jimbo likes this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006

never had a problem cleaning fish in winter on the fillet table outside. But that's just because, hypothermia is better than the verbal and potentially physical punishment I would endure if I scaled a fish in the house.

9. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

My wife has threatened me for cleaning them in the kitchen but she has never followed through with her rants. I think that she likes to eat fish too badly to do that.

I use cardboard when newspaper is not available. When I know ahead of time, i save those weekly ad papers that always seem to be around the driveway.

10. martini77

martini77

I clean them right in the kitchen using a large plastic cutting board dedicated to just fish. the carcasses go straight into a double bag of plastic grocery bags then into the trash can outside. cutting board into the dishwasher and bleach counter after and all is good.

11. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Usually dump the fish in the kitchen sink. Use a fillet board or a piece of plywood to cut on and drop the guts back in the 5 gallon bucket.

12. RichP

RichP

Right. Seems like I get a huge bundle of junkmail fliers on Monday as well, so when not recycling those, it's good to find an alternative use like cleaning fish.

I don't scale fish in the winter, I just do skinless filets and cut them when they're still stiff from the cold, so not a lot of slime.

13. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

This is how I do it and always have. My wife knows if I get a scale or two on the wall I'll clean it up. In the summer I put the bagged guts in a freezer until trash day and I have a magnet on the back door I flip over saying I have fish guts in the freezer so I don't forget.

The beauty of a great marriage is that my wife would never, ever tell me where I had to clean fish or do anything at all for that matter. I'd never tell her where or when to do her girl stuff either. Sounds like you boys may need to have a family meeting and get this fixed. There's probably some more controlling issues that need work besides fish cleaning locations...

With that all said, I hope you put the toilet seat down when you're done wizzin. It's just a courtesy for the ladies. Plus you don't wanna get up in the middle of the night with the trots and fall into the potty either!

Aaronjeep2 and Jimbos like this.
  14. Big Skip

Big Skip

I save cardboard and lay it on the freezer in the garage to clean mine.

Outdoor2daCore likes this.
  15. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I let my wife clean my fish wherever she wants as long as she cleans up well when she's done.:)