close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chumming on NRC agenda

Discussion in 'Gear Restrictions and Trout Fishing Regs' started by AdamBradley, Apr 24, 2016.

1. HuronBrowns

HuronBrowns

You guys are still going on about this post? Seriously.. Not even sure what this thread is about anymore so I guess I can just say like on every other thread, Robert take the L!!

2. Trout King

Trout King

This sums up the beginning of the whole debate.

Attached Files:

3. toto

toto

Thought I would bring this up to the top again. Did anyone notice the July meeting of the Natural Resources Committee? I found it pretty interesting that NOW the guides are whining that their guide trips are less than before. I guess that falls under the title "careful what you wish for". Sooooooooooo now they want chumming re-introduced, at least for the winter in one guides mind. Hilarious.

itchn2fish and slowpaya like this.
  4. Trout King

Trout King

The guides that now want chumming back are not part of the group of businesses that pushed to have chumming banned. While I have made it clear where I stand on this issue, you have to look at who they interviewed for that "article". It was the service who was responsible for most of the outcry to ban it in the first place. While he may have lost some business this past year, I'm not sure if it was the issue of chumming, or the personal issue that blew up over social media. The other guide services in that article, one is basically unknown, and the other seems to be a offshoot of Bett's Guide Service.

Chumming IMO shouldn't be banned for the reasons that they gave, but if you are a fishing guide, you shouldn't need chum to put fish in the boat. On the other hand, people pay good money to catch fish and chumming was a tool used to help the inexperience catch fish. I'd rather see people chumming to help get biters than the fly guides sit on top of gravel bars and have clients floss away at spawners, but then again, that is my personal feelings on it.

smokepole, itchn2fish and 357Maximum like this.
  5. toto

toto

I'm not sure which article you are referring to, however I looked at the July minutes for the NRC and noticed there were a few guides who were complaining about this. Not sure if they were for or against the chumming previously, I'd have to try to find out. However, if it isn't the ones wanting it stopped, then it would seem we have a conflict between guides in general. Personally, and I've said this all along, I don't care one way or the other, I just don't want our DNR decisions made for reasons that just aren't true.

itchn2fish and Trout King like this.
  6. Trout King

Trout King

7. fisheater

fisheater

The last paragraph of the article was most revealing. Chuck Hawkins, a guide noted as a major proponent of the chumming ban has now relented to a degree. He would be willing to relent if the fishing went no-kill, and there was some type of egg certification.
    Mr. Hawkins wants the state to protect his private business, conducted on public waters, utilizing a public resource, by not allowing others to keep fish if they so desire. It seems ludicrous to me that one member of the public should have a greater right to the public resource, or that his interest supercedes another's interest. As for special regulations for the safety of salmon eggs, we have had issues in the past. It was just a couple of years past when there were special regulations in which the use of salmon eggs was restricted from certain areas. It was amazing as illiterate, knuckle dragging, backwards, bait fishermen were somehow able to comprehend and actually cooperated with these regulations.
    I do not care for the Mr. Harwkins of this world, those whom twist truth to their own advantage over other people.

357Maximum, mbirdsley, toto and 2 others like this.
  8. toto

toto

The DNR puts limits out that they feel are appropriate for that species in a particular body of water. I like to think the NnRC is wise enough to see right through Hawkins' little relentment. It's obvious to anyone these guides are only concerned about themselves.