Chuck n Duck vs. Tightlining for Salmon/Steelhead

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Lamarsh, Sep 7, 2020.

1. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

The fly guys have their own language. Us hardware and "organic matter" ie bait fishermen dont understand fly language. I really dont want to either. Just me tho...

Richard Cranium and Lamarsh like this.
  2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

A heavily weighted streamer, fished straight downstream to a salmon and dangled in it's face will elicit vicious strikes.

Lamarsh, Shoeman and on a call like this.

3. mattm

mattm

I use the same rig for salmon and steelhead. 10ft 8wt with long belly tapered salmon steelhead fly line, a bit of amnesia, 7-9ft flouro 15lb leader to swivel with 2-3ft tippett. Split shots on a swivel above the tippett.

Switched to this from chuck and duck after fishing PA steelhead where the holes aren't as deep as our rivers. The fly line stays floating for the most part and kind of acts like a strike indicator.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Lamarsh likes this.
  4. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Fighting a hot 20lb King on a fly rod is like nothing else in fresh water. Except maybe a big steelie. It's a rush. I will keep about one river fish per year for the smoker and the rest are fight and release. I like all styles...bait, pier casting, and plugs / spoons. Back when we got a heavy run of Kings in the Grand, I used to troll the river with cleos. Caught lots of fish, but no where near as much fun as fighting one on the fly rod.

anthony oriano, Lamarsh and on a call like this.
  5. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

Pretty easy actually. Just cast Firetiger Deep Diving Thunderstik juniors on 20# Braid using a med-heavy spinning rod of about 7 feet. It's a blast when they're biting!

6. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

All you need is a dab of yarn in cherise (spelling) it's kinda a hot pink reddish color kings hate this color and will bite it. Small hook, lighter line, and drift it through the hole. old school river guys been using it for years.

Lamarsh likes this.
  7. nighttime

nighttime

30# braid, 9’ rod. Easier to control fish

Lamarsh likes this.
  8. jashroomer

jashroomer

Glad to hear, making my first trip up and trying to learn and understand all the rigs, good to know I might have a chance some of the gear i already have.

piscatorial warrior and Lamarsh like this.
  9. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Ojh said it perfectly above, it's only as complicated as you want it to be, and us talking about fly fishing for them using tightline euro techniques is certainly over complicating it. I forget what podcast I heard this on, but it put it really well--fly fishing is often a pretty crappy way to catch fish LOL. Get a rod with a float and some skein and you're definitely in action. Casting spoons and cranks also works great, as well as running plugs through holes. So the saying goes, at first you just want to catch a fish, but eventually you end up wanting to catch fish the way you want to catch them.

Uncle Boopoo, TK81 and jashroomer like this.
  10. mattm

mattm

This book helped me step it up as far as techniques and spots. I was a pond bass/small river trout fisherman when I got into salmon and steel. This copy is 15 yrs old but I'll still look at it now and again when I'm bored. Worth reading for anyone looking to get into river salamanoid fishing 1600125488056.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Lamarsh, TK81 and piscatorial warrior like this.
  11. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

I bought a copy about 20 to 25 years ago. Used to read it in the tent at fish camp before nodding off.

jashroomer likes this.