"Christmas Tree Syndrome" — help!

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by puttputt, Dec 1, 2020.

1. puttputt

puttputt

The last couple years, right after we put up our Christmas tree I got a bad allergy reaction. It happened again this year, but worse (runny nose, itchy eyes, etc.) and it turned into a miserable cold. I finally did some searching on the Internet and learned that it is mold spores that are quite fond of cut pine trees. It turns out, if you cut your own, this isn't a problem. But if you buy it from a lot (which we started doing a few years ago), the trees develop mold after being cut and transported down to the big city.

The solution seems to be to wash it with a bleach or vinegar solution, hose it down, blow it with a leaf blower and let it dry in the garage for a few days. Unfortunately, the tree is already inside my house and decorated.

Question: does anybody have experience with this problem and have a solution for getting rid of the mold on a tree that is already inside and decorated? (I haven't been able to find this on part the Internet.)

Merry Christmas!

2. piketroller

piketroller

A matchbook could solve your issue but will have some unintended consequences.

if I were in your shoes, I’d undecorate the tree as fast as possible and get it out of the house. Then this weekend I’d either go to a tree farm and cut my own or just break down and get a fake one.

3. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Not every “evergreen” is a “Pine” tree.

Pine, Spruce, & Fir species are all used as Christmas Trees.

My hunch would be you are allergic to the mold hitchhikers, or the tree resins themselves, on only one or two of the three possible classes of tree involved.

So one simple step would be to determine what species of tree you have now, then look into the likelihood of another type of Christmas tree not causing the same problems.

Also any nearby “Cut Your Own” tree operation is probably well versed in the possibilities here.

4. cedartool-fishinfool

cedartool-fishinfool Premium Member

Un-decorate it, get it out of house and prop up in yard, add lights.
    Then find a suitable artificial tree or a fresh cut.
    You may have allergies to some trees or mold or both.

puttputt likes this.
  5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

My wife has horrible allergies and asthma. The last time we bought a live tree it was a blue spruce that we cut at a farm. She ended up in emergency the follwing morning with an asthma attack. Xmas Trees always bothered her to some degree. Not sure if things just got progressively worse or if the blue spruce was the issue.....we had never had a spruce tree before. The tree was gone that week and we have done artificial since. It kind of sucks because I enjoy a real tree. One of my best friends owns a xmas tree farm. Not worth putting my wofe through the issues and taking the risks. Newer artificial trees are pretty nice too.

6. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Yes, Artificial tree is the way to go

puttputt likes this.
  7. In_the_sticks

In_the_sticks

I was always a "fresh" tree guy until my wife talked me into an LED tree. Shoot..up and decorated in 10 minutes. I don't have to worry about watering it, needles falling all over and it goes right back into crawlspace December 26th.

puttputt likes this.
  8. puttputt

puttputt

My wife is taking the ornaments off right now. We'll put this disaster on the back porch! Thanks for all your comments and support.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  9. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer