Chickens

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by junkman, Feb 16, 2020.

1. d_rek

d_rek

Haha... seems like just when they get rolling good and you wonder what the heck you're going to do with all these eggs suddenly they stop laying so hot. This will be our second fall/winter with our birds and they definitely slow down as photoperiod shortens. In summer we can expect 3-5 eggs/day, and winter 1-3. But unless broody or molting shouldn't have a real dramatic drop in production. Also could be any other change that disturbs their normal daily routine. As easy as chickens are they can be fussy about their habits.

2. Waif

Waif

Sometimes , it's multiple things going on.
    With a simple thing being the last thing needed to be a trigger.

Lighting is worth a try if it can be done safely.
    Running a consistent average of a longest natural daylight hours day is suggested in this article.
    I just ran one at night. Defended by woven wire so hens couldn't fly into it.
    The same lamp kept their water fount unfroze in winter. And of course kept the coop from being too cold.

I just don't recall my hens years ago falling off production that much at the same time. Molting in unison for example. Quite possible though.

Don't sweat owing eggs. You made the offer , the hens didn't. But you can simply explain they are on a natural break/time out.

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti... nutrition,can cause depressed egg production.

Mike and thill like this.

3. junkman

junkman

I don't try to force extra light on them.I just let them what they are going to do.

Mike likes this.
  4. junkman

junkman

Silki hen is broody AGAIN!:rant:

5. jr9912

jr9912

We have a little black silki we call her demon. She goes broody after every demon jr. She hatches. Some birds are just that way. She is the meanest chicken out or 300+ birds.

6. junkman

junkman

Added a trio of mille fleur d'uccle to my flock.These things eggs are even smaller then the ones my silki hen lays.

Mike likes this.
  7. junkman

junkman

Moved the new birds out of the getting to know you pen and into the main run tonight.

Mike likes this.
  8. junkman

junkman

So far so good.Didn't wake up to any dead birds.Seems like everybody is getting along as best as I can expect.

Mike likes this.