Chickens

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by junkman, Feb 16, 2020.

1. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Nice looking coop.

2. Team Camo

Team Camo Premium Member

Wanted to do a stick built originally. Built the bottom deck..got lazy and went with the plastic. So far so good 4 years in ....

3. brewster

brewster Premium Member

Is that like the lower level of yooper two hole outhouse?

Lumberman and MichiFishy like this.
  4. Team Camo

Team Camo Premium Member

:lol:
    They are offset from each other so hopefully the lower rooster....doesn't get hit..

brewster likes this.
  5. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Well, only got two chicks out of nine eggs. Sunday night found one who had opened it's shell, but was dead still inside when I found it. Struggle must have been too much? Two hatched yesterday and are tucked under her wings right now.

Out of the six remaining eggs, three had full grown chicks inside and the other three had mostly developed chicks but she kicked all six out of the nest this morning.

6. Team Camo

Team Camo Premium Member

That's a bummer. Couldn't hit the like on your post...:(

7. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Yeah, I was bummed too. Was hoping for at least five of nine from her. If I had been home when she kicked the eggs out, I could have thrown them in the incubator and maybe they would have made it.

8. junkman

junkman

My birds are broody again!:banghead3

9. Team Camo

Team Camo Premium Member

10. d_rek

d_rek

My gold laced Wyandotte finally broke her spell after almost two months. We had to kick her out of the coop and keep it locked up daily. Really screwed up egg production for the other girls. Of our 5 remaining birds (we lost one just before the 4th) we are only still getting 1-3 eggs a day, up from 0-1. Our Isa Browns are both laying well as I our Brahma. I haven’t seen an egg out of our rock pullet in over a month (theyre smaller and speckled). Hoping they turn a corner and start producing again.

Sent from d_mobile

11. triplelunger

triplelunger

If they've been locked out of the coop for a while, they might have found an alternate spot to lay. My egg production took a nose dive about a month ago, and couldn't figure out why. Well, one day my dog came to me with something in his mouth, opened up and out plopped an egg! I followed him after I took it, and sure enough, he returned to the scene of the crime. In a small brushy area next to my woodpile I found about 2 dozen eggs. I picked them up, cleared out the area, and now they're back to laying in their boxes. So might want to get yourself an egg-sniffing canine, or just take a look around the property.
    Now I'm getting 9-10 a day out of 11 hens with about 5 more hens reaching laying age from my last hatch from my broody hen.

12. wannabapro

wannabapro

Had a Brahma mama get broody for about 10 days and it jacked up the other 5 gals too. I broke her in a few days but I had to lock up the coop for part of the day and boot her out multiple times otherwise. One other trick that seemed to help was to pull her out of the box after roosting time (pitch dark) and place her on the roost for the night. Did that twice and the third day she was broke.

thill likes this.
  13. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Finally got a few eggs. Boy are they small. Hope they get bigger. Look like robin eggs. Haha

4328468D-E66E-4961-A314-D376EA5E2A2B.jpeg

d_rek, MichiFishy, junkman and 4 others like this.
  14. Big Frank 25

Big Frank 25 Premium Member

pullet eggs

Waif likes this.
  15. triplelunger

triplelunger

Got home from a long weekend this Sunday, and I've got 3 damn broody hens! I just lost my rooster, too, so I can't really have them sit unless I buy some hatching eggs. ******* chickens drive me crazy sometimes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

junkman likes this.