Charlevoix/Walloon area

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by SWMbruiser, Aug 9, 2020.

1. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

Can anyone give me any insight into these areas for fishing. Or even the big lake in this area? Heading up Thursday for a long weekend staying in Charlevoix. Not familiar at all with the area. Can anyone gimme some info on good species to target this time of year? Wouldn't mind getting big smallies but also looking to keep the wife entertained. Any tips or info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. jasperdog

jasperdog Premium Member

The fishing advice is probably available in some other threads.
    I can definitely say you Will not be happy fishing after 10am. Both those lakes are over full right now with people enjoying wake producing water sports.
    I mean, summer is short, but this summer is out of bounds and the lake is open to all...
    The best perch fishing I have ever experienced on Lake Charlevoix was during rifle season in a snowstorm.

I would concentrate on your second objective...

3. mudpuppie

mudpuppie

Charlevoix is big enough that finding fishable water without boat traffic is not hard. Some spots are worse(Hemmingway Point/Ironton, for example because of boat traffic into South Arm.) Walloon similar. On any of these northern lakes, boat traffic is minimal from daylight to 10:00-11:00AM.

4. Cat Power

Cat Power

Heading up to charlevoix this weekend

Any advice on what to fish for?

5. smalljaw

smalljaw

Smallmouth should be hitting good, fish points, flats. Start deep first with tubes....and move shallower as necessary. We are headed there this weekend with 3 boats, fishing both lakes. I will also have a jerkbait tied on....

6. smalljaw

smalljaw

3 boats fished for 3 days, Fri-Sun. Fished deep, drops, shallow on Charlevoix, Walloon, Skegmog. Just too much wind to fish effectively. It was an off week for sure, especially since my 82 year old dad outfished me.....that man will cast and wind jerk baits all 3 days if I let him. Ended Sunday with a smalljaw so fat it could barely jump, then it came unbuttoned near the boat. Water was so clear, I saw it come off before I felt the slack, then we headed home. The End.

randall cobb likes this.
  7. Cat Power

Cat Power

I ended up not taking boat because of wind

had a great time enjoying the beautiful scenery up there. Truly a special place

Bigbass201 and bombcast like this.
  8. smalljaw

smalljaw

Yes it was gorgeous up there. Lots of travelers, even on motorcycles. Our group still had a great time. Michigan is a true Wonderland.

9. dzf4h0

dzf4h0

Fished Charlevoix 3 days for perch. Winds were challenging for sure. Brother, dad and I fished where wind allowed and did good... 30, 60 and limit plus 2 pike on day 3. Had to sort but that's ok.

Cat Power and Bigbass201 like this.
  10. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

When I go with my wife I usually fish the mornings and they we just enjoy the beautiful scenery the rest of the time. It's been working out for some years now.