Central U.P. River Report 4-25

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Superior Outfitter, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Superior Outfitter

Superior Outfitter Sponsor

Conditions have changed over the last few day so I thought I would let people know what the conditions are like for the opener. We are in the middle of strong runoff and local rivers are losing visibility pretty fast. I went to a couple local rivers last night and visibility was around a foot or less in the lower sections and still rising. Checking the available gauges on a couple rivers I noticed that they both doubled in flows over the last week. This is good news for those fishing the smaller rivers and the upper sections of the steelhead streams, but it will make wading tough on a lot of the classic trout water around us. Temps are still just above freezing on most rivers. Good luck and stay safe on the opener.

2. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

Be very careful when wading, strong currents and extremely cold water due to the runoff.

3. rz75n6

rz75n6

I am heading up to northern Schoolcraft county this weekend to do a little trout fishing with my daughter. I am a little concerned on the amount of snow that is still in the woods. Any reports on that would be appreciated?

4. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Cannot say for sure what is in northern Schoolcraft Co. but yesterday afternoon it took a bit of luck and a lot of 4WD to get through a couple areas in central Chippewa county where the snowmobiles had packed things down. Things were particularly challenging where there was conifer cover, especially on the south sides. FM

5. Superior Outfitter

Superior Outfitter Sponsor

I was there over the weekend. The snow is gone and the roads were drying.