close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Central U.P. River Fishing Report 3-4-18

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Superior Outfitter, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Superior Outfitter

Superior Outfitter Sponsor

I was able to get out for a few hours yesterday afternoon on a local Lake Superior stream to check for spring steelhead. I did't run into any steel, but landed a couple nice browns and I missed a few more. Water levels are pretty low overall and temps are in the low 30's still. I tried jigs/butter worms, flies and spawn all under a float and I had luck on all three with spawn working the best in pink,chartreuse and orange bags.Uncured coho skein out fished the cured steelhead skein 2 to 1. I fished every deep run I could find, but all of my hookups were in 3 feet or less with good cover.We could use a good melt and some rain to get things going on the Superior tribs.

Attached Files:

slabstar, BigPine, jmodyb and 15 others like this.
  2. Trout King

Trout King

Awesome browns! Thanks for the pics.

3. stimmer7710

stimmer7710

Thanks for the report and tips. Beautiful fish.

4. Zorba

Zorba

Anybody have any news on the rivers on the Lake Michigan side?

5. Teggs

Teggs

Here in the UP most are still frozen or locked up, and low on water. The rivers that have damns have been producing a few fish though. After this weekends warm weather and possible rain/snow early next week, things should be flowing much better by easter weekend. Wisconson and the lower pen tribs are on fire right now if your iching for some action i would head south.

6. Superior Outfitter

We have another foot of snow now. Rivers were were pretty slushy yesterday.I think it is going to be one of those years were you can fish Steelhead in Superior tribs in the morning and drive south in the afternoon and throw dries.

7. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

Many of the stream mouths are open now on the Lake Michigan side.

osmerus likes this.
  8. fishrod

fishrod

How is the shore ice on the superior side. Are any fishable, or the access sites not plowed yet. Thanks

9. Superior Outfitter

Shore ice changes with the wind so it's pretty unpredictable and will be that way for a little while.I wouldn't count on many sites being plowed until tomorrow at best. The sides streets by my home haven't been cleared yet and we are getting snow tonight. I think its best to stay out of the way right now and let them plow.

10. fishrod

fishrod

We’ve postponed our trip till mothers day weekend, god i love my wife...one way or another we’re fishing that weekend. Have any lakes thawed yet, we’ll find fish somewhere.

11. Teggs

Teggs

Most of the bays on lake superior still have ice either locked or floating. All the inland lakes have about 2 feet if that. Rivers are opened up now. Lots of shelf ice everywhere on superior.