central a/c compressor blanket

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by Sling, May 4, 2018.

1. Sling

Sling

Has anyone installed one ? Did it work ?

2. if i am understanding your question correctly and not knowing why you are considering adding a cover, IMHO compressor covers were a fad back in my service tech days (80's), in part there were used on many rotary compressors for noise reduction Chrysler Air temps, carrier, etc. it did not last long in part because of the trapped heat and eventual material break down. Remember less efficient residential A/C compressors run at roughly 55mph from start to stop and trapping excessive heat within can be a real problem with amp draw, high-side pressure etc.

3. Sling

Sling

thanx for response ....brand new compressor...pretty quiet....blanket manufacturer claims thirty to fifty percent noise reduction....with two percent temp increase.....I have a 13 seer....tech told me 16 seers have blankets that's why they are quieter....so for $ 70 thinkin about tryin a blanket......I haven't been able to verify that 16 seers have blankets

4. Sling

Sling

Just called Brinmar....they manufacture blankets....they said they supply most manufacturers.......and they are very common......said they don't cause heat problems because compressors are internally cooled by the refridgerant .....gonna give them a shot

5. Sling

Sling

do scroll type compressors run cooler ?

6. Yes they do, because of less moving parts but at optimal conditions. Excessively High outdoor ambient air (condenser placed at south facing open spaces), long periods of use, dirty condenser, etc. can and will cause higher operating temps/amp draw/high-side pressure. i personally would first spend the 70.00 and other monies on items that have zero risk and will help lower operating cost/add comfort at higher operating stat temps such as air diffuser's/clear away any items that will cause air flow restriction to returns. Move returns high on wall where ever possible/optimize supply air distribution balance per room, efficient windows/treatments to reduce additional BTU's from sun penetration, shad area (not blockage) around condenser this will help with noise reduction also. keep thermostat at one temp and leave it to optimize cycle time. I am/was always a firm believer in taking care of the little things first before spending additional equipment add-on money that most often largely benefit the seller rather than the home owner when it comes down to comfort/energy usage. good luck sling hope this helps is some way

Sling likes this.
  7. Sling

Sling

NG I'm hoping for less noise on the patio.....for me ....also the neighbor. It's quiet enough in the house, even with the unit two feet from my bedroom window ....thanks for the replies

8. Sling

Sling

At my last house....when sitting on the deck and the noise bugged me......I just turned it off

9. kroppe

kroppe

Sounds like you have a brand new compressor and it is quiet, right? One thing to check, low probability because your unit is new, is the contactor. My compressor had gotten pretty loud and started failing electrically, meaning it was getting power intermittently. I looked at the contactor and it was mangled from arcing. Cleaned it up and it helped for a year. It started acting up again so I put in a new contactor and run and start capacitors for les than $100 in parts if I recall correctly. Runs like a champ now, much quieter. 30 year old unit.

Do not do this work if you have the slightest doubt about your electrical repair skills. Injury or death can result.

10. Sling

Sling

yes ....new unit,,,,just want the noise level to be the lowest possible.....within reason....thanks for the tips ! should have bought the 16 seer.... less noise but more upfront cost