centerpin vs spey

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by no lead, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Steelheadfred

Steelheadfred

I can cast my center pin 40 yards all though it took some practice and experiementing to get what sytle, weight, and launch angle to toss it at.

Float rods are a lot lighter than spey rods......at least the ones I use and I own both. The tapers are so different and as mentioned wall thickness also. I tend to like a stiffer than average rod even for running 6lb leaders with my pin.

But after building many float rods and a few spey rods. I have come to the conclusion that the ultimate float rod would be a 9 weight butt section, an 8 weight butt section and a fast action 6 weight tip.

Cedar Rods in Bath has come up with one that is close but still more of a spey feel than a float feel to the rod.

2. Treven

Treven Banned

SteelheadFred,

I completely agree with that and have caught one steelie on a Cedar rod, nice rods, but a little beefy for my taste. It sure can chuck floats a LONG way though! A few weekends ago I was talking to Mike-The Rod Doctor and he told me he is working with Loomis to create a 15' blank for AER that is a blend of GL3 and IMX to create a light blank much like the 13' @ 4.2 oz (new info, sorry for the change!)

Just thought I would share for those interested...

Later,

Trev

3. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

I can't wait for that to come out!!! There goes another few big bills on one of those gotta have fishing rods. Thanks for the info Treven.

4. Hex4steel

Hex4steel

Shotgunner......

Although I'm not taking a stab, coming from "post #17"..........

I would love a free drink and by the sounds of it you would like to see a 40 yard cast...........

PM on the place to meet....... :D

5. Treven

Treven Banned

Turns out I recieved incomplete info as my friend got ahold of me through another site;) The butt of the blank is GL3, the middle is the new blend and the tip is IMX as opposed tothe 13' now which is GL2 butt, GL3 middle, and IMX tip. Sorry for the confusion, I wish I would have talked to my buddy first, before going off the other info I recieved:dizzy:

Later guys,

Trev

6. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

Great reading here guys. I'm new to "pinning" as well, but have yet to get the goods so far. This coming fall I'll have a pin set-up.

Does anyone here pin for chinook? Giant size chunks of skein under floats...

I'm also wondering if a Ugly Stik Lite blank 13ft would be a good flaot rod.:lol: I'm joking guys.:D

7. shotgunner

shotgunner

your inbox is stuffed. hope you wont mind me placing it here.

Hello Hex....

let me start with a sincere apology for calling you out directly through a forum thread, very inappropriate on my part. hope you'll excuse me in the spirit of a good debate[?]

i'd buy you a beer anytime, bet or no...

i'd love to see you cast if we can arrange a mutual location.

thanks...... SG

8. Hex4steel

Hex4steel

No harm, no foul.......as previously stated "all in the spirit of a good debate". And the apology is greatly appreciated although unnecessary. All in a days work of discussing internet fishing ethics :D

As far as meeting.......I am not sure where you hail from but as of right now I am living in Sault St. Marie(thus, centerpinning the rapids quite frequently, attempting to perfect that 40 yard cast w/o loosing 100 yards of line lol). I will shortly be moving back to the Lansing area for work this summer between college semesters and fishing skamania as much as possible. This is the only suitable time I could see us meeting so keep in touch, I will try to PM when I am in the area. In the mean time, good luck and tightlines

9. shotgunner

shotgunner

Hex, thanks for being understanding.

i travel through the soo several times a season. possible i could catch you up there, i'll try a p.m. @ the time. Tippy is my southern boundary after mid may, i get pretty intent on the residents locally until late fall. if you enjoy chasing them let me know, be glad to take you out.

one reason for the scepticism is my own lack of skill with a c.p. the fishing i've done has all been on smaller tribs in the coldest water periods .125 - .250 oz was/is std weighting [i used the decimals to make you guys think a little bit...LOL.. i'm clueless on the 'gram' speak :)] i have seen a few individuals placing very nice casts with obviously ultra light setups. thats where i'd like to be someday........

if someone makes or witnesses the cast with 14 grm max setup please post back or let me know through p.m. just to ease my mind..... thanks. SG

10. Treven

Treven Banned

You can side cast that weight very easily, especially on smaller streams. Casting that little of weight off the spool is an art in my opinion, it is hard to chrage the spool enough.

I think it depends a lot on the rod!

Have a good one,

Trev