centerpin vs spey

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by no lead, Apr 9, 2006.

1. no lead

no lead

we know float rods are usually very long, and so are spey rods, are the 2 interchangeable? i know spey is fly fishing, but i put my spin reel on my fly rod all the time, any thoughts?
    :fish: kip :fish:

2. Treven

Treven Banned

A lot of us centerpin guys have started tying spey blanks into float rods with great success. Mainly for heavier tippet situations are these used. I have not spey fished, but I would think a traditional float blank would not suffice in casting spey line. As for putting a spinning reel on either of them, if the situation dictated I would most definitely. Matter of fact I had my 13' St. Croix III before I had my centerpin and caught fish with a spinning reel (not near as many as I have with my centerpin though:D ).

Trev

3. Northlander

Northlander Guest

Spey fishing.:dizzy: Professional duck N' chucking at it's best. Longer rod = heavier swing chucking = tired out arms = a waste of your time throwing the rod around all day. Your better off throwing on that spinning reel if you do not have a centerpin. I could possibly see certain situations that suit spey fishing, but I yet to find any.

4. bombcast

bombcast

I got into spey fishing last year and enjoyed the hell out of it. Not enough to chuck all the other methods I enjoy, but it sure is an effective way to present a deeply sunk streamer. I love that yank.

If I wanna float fish, I'll do it with conventional steelie tackle, never understood the speydicator stuff.

5. gomer

gomer

Winchester, Virginia & Rockford, MI (Home)
    If you are talking about putting a centerpin reel on a spey rod, prepare for sore arms...

A spey rod is NOT balanced correctly for using a centerpin reel. Holding a speyrod with a centerpin reel on it will cause the rod to be extremely top heavy and will be litterally a pain to fish with. However, I have used my 13ft imperial spey rod with a spin reel on it for big water float fishing (before I bought a pin) and it works fine. Keep in mind that a spey rod weights considerably more than a float rod.

-Adam

6. Speyday

Speyday

I'll differ from and expand a bit on what gomer is saying...... spey rods may be heavier than float rods.....thats true....but also remember...all spey rods dont weigh the same. there are 11"6 and 15 foot spey rods, 6 wt, 10 wt spey rods. Each variation between there will have a different weight BLANK.

You can fish a heavy spey blank "IF" its balanced with the centepin reel correctly. that makes a huge difference. I would rather fish a 18 oz rig that is properly balanced than a 10 ounce rig that isn't.

For example: I use my centerpin rods for pier fishing and have GIANT spinning reels on them that are way overboard for the great lakes; but they balance correctly on the rod....."that's " why I got em.

My thought/point is that if youre going to buy a spey rod for pinning, make sure you slap your reel on it and hold it at about a 75 degree angle for a while with a very light grip...and you'll see whether or not Gomer's prediction comes true. Finding a factory rod that balances both a pin and a spey fly reel will be difficult, though.

Option B: Other folks will balance thier grip acc. to the reel they use and build a rod; on a spey blank.....and that gives you full control over the handle and reel positioning. If you really want to have a rod that can spey and centerpin fish, I would guess that the spey rod should probably have sliding rings on the handle so you can balance each reel at different places for each style.

Just my $.02

7. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

I agree with Gomer. I would like to see the spey rod you can buy in spey rod form. Slap a pin on it and it balance out any where near the way it should.

8. shotgunner

shotgunner

Spey rods are meant to be cast with TWO hands, re 'DBL hander'.

i dont believe for a second that 'float' rods are lighter. the balance point IS the issue. i'm sure i'll see some diffs of opinion on this so please state your favorite blank & finished rod weight/length in your post :lol: if you had to fish a pin on a spey i'll bet you could locate your reel where you wanted it and tape it in place.

Northlander, are/were you serious with that opinion?

spey casting is not for everybody and very unproductive in comparison to float fishing on a centre pin, spin reel, or baitcaster. float terminal is the same, much like C&D on a fly rod vs. traditional drift fishing- same ol'/same ol'. spey casting is what these folks enjoy, catching is secondary. SG

9. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

Spey Rods for the most part are heavier as far as the blank goes and here is why. Spey rods have to live up to a much more stressful style of fishing. They are made to toss around a heavy fly line all day and that puts a tremendous amount of pressure on a blank. The easiest way you can tell is look at the diameter at the tip of a spey blank and then look at the diameter of a float rod. This is not true for all float rods but look at the high end ones vs. the high end spey rods and you will see. Now as far as the finished weight on the rod goes I would say the float rod is heavier due to the type of hardware/guides you use on a float rod. Correct me if you think I am wrong but based on what I have seen on the Sage and Scott spey rods they are quite a bit thicker at the tip than a G Loomis IMX or Raven float rod. The spey rods also seem quite a bit more tip heavy than a traditional float rod "based on being held at the same distance from the butt for a balance measurement". I would have to say spey fishing is not a waste of your time though. I also agree it is a balance issue if you relocated the reel seat you could use any spey rod with a pin but, if you left the reel seat the same you would definitely have huge balance issues. I also think that when people are comparing the 2 different types of rods they are looking at the wrong weight fly rods. Most float rods on the market are closer to 5/6 weight spey rods instead of the 7/8 many people would usually compare them too.

10. Treven

Treven Banned

Kory hit it on the nose, Float blanks and spey blanks have altogether different tapers, actions, and powers. Each has its own time and place, but I can honestly say most quality float blanks will do the trick in the GL region. Spey blanks have a time and place and quite frankly I've thought about putting $$ down on two blanks instead of getting one made right away. I use a St. Croix Avid Float rod and LOVE it. But I want a New Avid 7/8 blank to tie and a 15' Frontier MX also. The Frontier is #1 on the list now, but I want a lighter spey conversion in my arsenal when the fish are big and active. I wish I was rich:dizzy: !

But back to the question at hand, yes you could interchange reels, but balance is the key there. Good points guys!

Later,

Trev

11. Northlander

Northlander Guest

I didn't know that people like spending 800.00 or more on a rod combo to just throw it around all day. I would also imagine that catching fish with any type of rod would become the first priority to fishing. Why would you go otherwise?

For that matter, I would just go up to the woods and chainsaw myself a 15 foot stick, tie on some florocarbon line with a strike indicator (BOBBER) and a wiggler nymph fly, and just chuck it around all day. I suppose I would save myself the money for something else useful otherwise.:dizzy:

And yes, I'm serious. If I were to spend a extreme amount of gas money on a fishing trip, I would bring my more productive fishing gear. If your a spey fisherman, I'm sorry If I offended you, but I still find it alot more productive to fish a river system with either a Centerpin combo, or Spinning combo of any kind. You can obviously cover more area.

Besides, I would rather save my energy fighting the fish anyways.

12. wackoangler

wackoangler

I want to respond to you northlander, but I know my post will probably get deleted.:mad:

13. Northlander

Northlander Guest

Anotherwords, you have nothing to say..... If you have a so-called thought, then what's holding you back?

14. shotgunner

shotgunner

Bum, your last post was a good one, and i agree with most of it. the lack of light spey blanks in longer length is the biggest obstacle to getting an accurate comparison. your lucky to find anything @ 13' with 12' being more the norm. hard to tell much about weight of a blank by the diameter alone though, wall thickness plays a huge part.

Northlander........ wow buddy.. where to start? what is it to you how others spend their earnings? or, what seems to bother you more, their time? you seem quite critical of things you dont understand and your obviously ignorant about most things spey. why do you suppose there are archery & black powder only seasons? their obviously not the 'most productive' methods..... its because people enjoy them. SG

15. Riverkeeper

Riverkeeper Guest

Let's clarify a few things for people not "in-the-know"

If you are fishing a Spey rod, you're likely not chuck and ducking. Most people use different techniques for the specialized rods. Swinging streamers for example.

And actually, you don't get as tired swinging this rod as you think. You only false cast once. Most flyrods you have to make multiple false casts, which tires you out more.

Lastly, you can cover ALOT of water with Spey rods. I'd like to see someone make a 40-yd cast with a centrepin.