centerpin users?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by brad arnett, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Treven

Treven Banned

Hey eggsniffer,

I'm still in the process of finding what works best, seems fly floatant and Scotchguard work the best, but I only tried for a little while as I got my pin in January. For spinning reels I was using Sno Seal and it worked awesome, but due to the fact it makes the line sticky it doesn't work on CP's. I did some searching on Quest andfound threads about fly floatant and Scotchguard and only tried them once and it wasn't below 29. Next winter I'll do a full write up whether good or bad;) But in the mean time, they seem to make the line float better, so they should not be absorbing any water due to the alterations meaning freezing to itself on the spool will be nonexistant- I hope:D

Trev

2. CANman

CANman Guest

Braids on pins....

I have been using a pin for over 15yrs now. Over that time I have seen others put braid and fusions lines on center pins with minimal success. The limpness of mono and its properties is much more suited to float fishing. With the braid, your putting extra stress on your guides and blank as well. The whole idea of the long road is to lift your line out of the water and to absorb shock from the fish while using light setups. Braid can blow an expensive float rod fast. AND, it tends to bind on the reel, sucks in cold weather, and can warp your spool if running a spoked reel under high pressure.

Stick with Mono, berkley Ironsilk in warmer months, and XL or Maxima in colder temps.

3. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

treven i cant wait to give that braid a shot...

i may be buying the matrix and if i do im definately putting braided on there...

IM SO FED UP WITH SIGLON...

sticking with MCCoy mean green for now...

siglon is CRAP:rant:

4. Northlander

Northlander Guest

I can agree that braid would not be the brightest idea. It's like putting a hacksaw inbetween your guides with a 10lb+ fresh fish.:rolleyes: Berkley's Suffix is also a pretty decent line for performane & money.

5. Treven

Treven Banned

He he, Like I said it must be my little secret because I absolutly love the stuff, I use a 13' St. Croix Avid and Okuma Sheffield with anywhere from 6-10lb tippet and have put the boots to fish on many occasions. I catch my fair share, just ask MPSteelheader, Gomer, and Pikedevil they'll tell you I do alright-I wouldn't consider myself great by any means so do not take that the wrong way! As far as cold weather, I'm working on it and getting close to how to alleviate that problem. Has to wait until next winter though to do more testing.

I'm not trying to convince all that it is the way to go, just that it works well FOR ME! I would suggest giving it a try if you fish braid all the time and are used to it.

BTW, I run braid on everything except my fly rod (that's a lot of rods too;) ) and have not one groove in my guides nor broken a rod due to stress caused by braid(I go over my rods fairly religiously). I believe it is all in how you play fish in breaking situations! I also don't have any binding issues on the CP too. I do always run fluoro tippet on everything of which I know a relative breaking point. I look at diameter of braid when I buy it as it all breaks MUCH higher than it says(Power Pro is #1 in my book)!

Oh yeah, don't friggen grab the line when a fish runs, duh, use your fingers on the palming rim of the spool as that is what it is intended for! Pretty easy fix there.

It's really not as bad is it is made out to be, but if you don't like it don't use it it is all a matter of personal preference:D

Have a good one guys,

Trev

6. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

CANman:

How can you say that the limpness of Mono is a advantage? Braid is more limp and is one of it's disadvantages due to the fact the more limp the less effective the line is at Mending. That is why I use mono. I may give braid a shot although I love my Siglon FF. From what I hear Treven does very well with Braid and success speaks for itself................

7. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

:yeahthat:
    My best experience has been either 12lb Siglon FF or 8lb Ironsilk Solar Mint.
    I think that a lot of people dislike Siglon because their tendency is to run too light a mainline (old habits from spinning tackle) and have problems with breakage. I feel that one of the advantages of a float reel versus a spinning reel is the ability to effectively run a heavier mainline. Less chance of breaking off a float when you hang up as well.

Line twist may be another factor and that may be more an issue with the user not utilizing casts that spin the spool as much as relying on a "side cast". The BC and Wallis Casts are quite easy to pick up and alleviate a lot of issues with different kinds of mono.

I will probably try the new Cortland braid, in hi-vis yellow, this fall for kings and also feel it may have some saltwater applications. I think the point made about rod breakage with braids is valid, as they are less forgiving than mono. A heavier stick is needed for kings anyway. I converted an 11'6" 9wt blank that is way too much rod for steelhead but probably just right for bright, lower river kings.

8. CANman

CANman Guest

Steelhead bum

I am speaking of braids in cold weather. Believe it or not us Canadians fish walleye in the cold weather as well...lol. I run braids on alot of my spinning reels and find it becomes very stiff in cold weather. Therefore running it on a pin mid winter would only spell trouble. I know this because a buddy of mine had his stanton 4.5" pin spooled with a braid last winter. One cold trip to the Soo resulted in a stiff iced up mess on his reel. I break off very very few fish when it comes to my main line, so running a braid for power applications has no pro's in my eyes. If i blow a fish to a break off while using my pin, its always at the hook knot or somewhere along my fluro, never the mainline.

Success speaks for itself i guess. I hit all my fish on mono, and 99% of floaters here on this side of the boarder run mono. All the really good steelheaders i know run mono, and all the guys i know that run braid (except one) only complain about it on their pins. Thats just my opinion based on findings and those i know.

9. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

You make many valid points there CANman and I agree with you on the point that I too would rather use mono. I did not realize you were talking about below freezing conditions when you said mono was more limp. I have many friends who drift fish with spinning rods in the winter and have no problems with it freezing. Maybe it is because they are using spinning reels. Not sure....... Quick question for you. Do you use your pin to fish for Atlantics up there on the Soo? Would it be a worth while way to fish for them?

See You On The Water

Kory

10. CANman

CANman Guest

THE BUM...

Fishing Atlantics with the Pin is the ONLY WAY TO DO IT...lol 15' Frontier Float rods, with a good 5" pin and 12lb mainline, heavy fluro and nice streamers.....its not far off again, only a few months!

Float fish or dont fish brother!!!!

With that being said, i would one day like to try the spey way........but not until i am finished and sick of hitting them on my center pin outfits.

Canman

11. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

That is awesome. I have always wanted to land an Atlantic and will hopefully be doing so up there. I had heard swinging streamers worked well but I really wanted to hook one on the pin. Thanks for the info:) ....

See You On The Water

Kory

12. CANman

CANman Guest

Bum,

I have a buddy here in Ontario, who fishes the rapids in mid summer exclusivley for Atlantics on the pin. Last year the water was very high and many of the spey guys had trouble getting to their normal areas. My buddy did very well. You would be amazed at how well you can present streames and large wet files under a float with a pin. Nothing compares to hooking one of those beasts. First time I targeted them, i blew 4 fish in a row, and i have never seen any fish smoke line off my islander as fast as they did.

CANman

13. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

CANman,

I would love to feel them rip a bunch of line off my Islander as well LOL. I will definitely be giving it a shot this summer. Is there any websites with any information on it? Or is there any guides that target them using a pin?

Kory

14. CANman

CANman Guest

Bum

My good friend ran a guiding business on Superior and Huron for the past few years. His primary focus was guiding steelhead and Atlantics on the Pin. He was incredibly successful as well. But, commitments with his career has resulted in the end of his guiding business.

I believe John Giuliani out of the Soo on the Canuck side is still guiding. His is primarily a fly guy, but i am sure he can cater to your needs!

His site: http://www.worldsites.net/riverfishing/

I will send u a pm with more info