centerpin users?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by brad arnett, Mar 20, 2006.

1. brad arnett

brad arnett

I have not made the jump yet to cp reels. Are there any of you out there who use them? Another question, My current float rod setup is a Lamiglas cert. pro 10'6" 6-10# mod. action med/light. I use power pro for the mainline. Can I use this rod or do I need to look into a longer setup? Most of my fishing is done on the Ausable and the Ocqueoc rivers.What are the pros and cons to these reels over a spinning reel? Thanks for taking the time to help a new steelheader out.

2. Jason Adam

Jason Adam

I'm looking for a big saltwater centerpin with engageable/dis-engageable drag for trolling. Anybody got one???

3. gomer

gomer

Winchester, Virginia & Rockford, MI (Home)
    I use a centerpin.

a 10'6" rod will work i suppose, it would best be suited for smaller water though. I would suggest something 13+ foot especially if you are fishing bigger water (ausable). I have a 13ft Loomis frontier and a 13'6" okuma aventa and I have uses for both of them. The only thing I don't like about the okuma is that it is a bit too flimsy, especially for big water when you need to turn a fish in heavy current. It is, however, a good rod to use with light tippet.

Obviously, the main advantage is a much longer, more controlled drift. Also you can use a heavier mono main line because of the larger diameter spool (i use 12lb siglon F) and you will loose less floats (of course that doesnt matter if you already use power pro on your spin rod). I would not recommend using braid on your pin however...

-Adam

4. MI_STEELHEAD

MI_STEELHEAD

I have been using a center pin exclusively this winter when I am not pulling plugs off the boat.

I agree w/ G...you can use a 10fter but I suggest a 13 to start. I helps keeping line off the water longer. Casting is kinda a pita when you first start so the long rod will allow you to some easy distance......meaning....you can get a 13 ft cast without any line coming off the reel.

I also use Siglon F. It is a float mono so it picks up nice. I haven't tested too many other lines but I did a lot of research before I picked up the Siglon and it is believed to be the way to go by a lot of guys.

5. Speyday

Speyday

ive been using a pin to present flies, baits, (unweighted)spinners, and lately small plugs.

The advantage when presenting flies or baits is huge. The rig will pull off line at the exact speed of the currents NEAR THE BOTTOM. Meaning, a properly rigged cp setup will have your float going just a tad slower than the bubbles up on top.

they also stay on a seam; the more directly upstream of the seam you are, the more this will be true. The rig will find that edge, and stay right on it. its amazing to watch.

the other advantage, though this could be done with a spinning rod and float setup, is eddies. You can pitch it into an eddy, and when properly set up, keeping your mainline off the water and the moving waters influence, it will just do laps around the eddie over and over. If anyone is familiar with the eddie right by the fish ladder in Berrien (who isn't...lol) I have had my presentation going all the way around that puppy 3-4 times...and even when I pull it out, its because I chose to.

Lastly, (and this is more advanced pinning, which i am just beginning to learn) you can do "trotting". That means that varying amounts of light pressure is put on the spool as its rotating. The more pressue, the more of a horizontal aspect your rig takes. The advantage here is that if you are working an area with varying depth, you can trot to make sure your rig isn't set too deep.

remember, in centerpinning, the offering is downstream of everything else; and is the first thing your fish sees. If you start your presentation by plunking it just ahead of the lip of the hole, I trot it a bit while the water is still shallow. as it approaches the "gut" of the hole "WHICH HOLDS THE ALPHA MALE!!!"(lol...crude supinski reference...) I let go, and the lesser resistance causes it to fall into a more vertical aspect. then, as it nears the tailout, i trot it again to make sure nothings dragging.

One interesting difference in float fishing with a CP as opposed to a spinning rig and float is that you FEEL the fish take ......hard to believe, but its true....

And finally, the fun of CP fishing to me is fighting that fish with no drag.

I would agree with the others that longer rods are best. The longer you can drift without the mainline touching the water, the better.

And since one of the rivers you mentioned is a guilty pleasure of mine, I would hope you don't mention it too much, as its not really heavily stocked and is pretty small...but Im kinda selfish that way.

Just make sure that if you get a CP reel, you get a good one, and you get past the learning curve on casting it. a lot of dudes cant get past it, and wind up selling them before they have really seen what they can do. Although im not a pro, my results have skyrocketed.

6. Speyday

Speyday

Not sure, but you may want to check out "mooching" reels; they are used up in the Pac NW when trolling herring rigs for salmon; I think shimano makes a couple of models?

7. gomer

gomer

Winchester, Virginia & Rockford, MI (Home)
    there aint much better than not payin attention to your float and all of a sudden... wammo!

of course watching that float slip down is hard to beat!:)

8. Steelhead Addict

Steelhead Addict

I use a 10'6" loomis bait casting rod, with a quantum cabo pt bait caster.

I think that this is a very effective way to fish floats. I get 0 line twists and get great line control, very fast line take up... plus if i want to use a drag...I have one.

IMHO, all the benefits of a cp with none of the drawbacks. Plus my rig is much cheaper.

I'd go with a longer rod, but with my boat it gets a bit crowded and don't need the extra reach.

9. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

jason shimano makes an awesome moocher perfect for what you're talking about...

as far as float setups go i have 3 main ways to go...

small minimal water like trail creek you dont really need a pin in my opinion so i use a 10' spinning setup and can cover a ton of water without having to break down a 13' foot rod...

medium sized water like the pm or betsie i go with my standard centerpin setup...

usually right around 13' and i agree with speyday said about trotting...

now lately for big water i have switched things up a bit...

i went from a big 5.5" pin to a baitcaster because i felt in heavier flows i had less control of the fish...

i usually use braided on baitcasters but due to braids not floating i have been running ultragreen with no problems...

all setup on a 14' rod and im good to go...

also on big water i dont shy away from the big floats either...

this weekend i was huckin' a piker 28gram float and could heave it a country mile...

if you have anymore ???'s let me know

cya on the river,

mark

10. Jason Adam

Jason Adam

Thats the ones I have been looking at lately are the Shimanos. Problem is, noplace around here actually has any to play with. I was at cabelas last year and they had a nice one in th ebargain cave, but didnt pick it up. Hopefully I'll get 1 or 2 this year.

11. Treven

Treven Banned

Seems like I'm the only one who runs braid on my CP:yikes: I have used braid so much in my life that I have trouble with mono. Weird, yes I know. If it is below freezing you have to use fly floatant so the braid doesn't absorb water and freeze to its self. If warmer than freezing though it floats and I have had no problems with it! I use a regular Siglon clear shot line and Quality fluoro tippet (Ashima and Siglon V-Hard)

Oh yeah, I use only Power Pro too, good choice!

Later,

Trev

12. Steelheadfred

Steelheadfred

Speyday,

Just gave you all the info you need. I could not write it any better.

Fred

13. Hex4steel

Hex4steel

I would agree with MP here.......I have a 13ft st.croix/sheffield combo that is pretty versatile. I can use it on any medium-larger sized river but I almost always go back to the fly rod or my 11ft spinning rod for smaller brushier streams. You could use a pin' on a smaller rod(i.e, 10-11ft) but I would recommend trying a longer rod, 12+ft. Although I haven't tried the bait casting style, It sounds pretty effective especially on bigger bodies of water. I am still somewhat of a rookie with my CP outfit and I'm sure there are some more experienced anglers on the site with more input on centerpin style fishing. .02

14. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I use a 11 !/2 st croix but I use mine out of a boat alot, If strickly bank fishing I would opt for the 13. I also tend to use a heavy leader, 10# floro so I dont need the flex provided by a longer rod.

15. Eggsniffer

Eggsniffer Guest

treven,
    Exactly how much does that help you with ice in the winter? I've heard it works, but havent tried it. I've been meaning to get a custom build with giganto guides. My buddy has one and he can take 15 drifts to my 1 when its below 20 with a wind. but the braid thing would be cheaper than getting a new rod...:idea: