Centerpin rod guides

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Millstream, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Treven

Treven Banned

So Recoils are a very sensitive guide to work with. I previously had all 4 GLX CP rods, I have 6 NRX rods for walleye, 1 GLX Trout Series, 1 factory Closer, and 6 custom CTS CP rods all with varying degrees REC's.

I can tell you all from quite a bit of experience that they do groove, they can chew line, and they can be awesome. The NRX guide train layout is the way to go. 3 Ti stripper guides - Rec's - Ti SiC or Torzite tip top. Saves weight and eliminates the 4 guides that polish/groove on my CTS's.

My running guide tied tip tops on my CTSs are starting to chew line. REC's are best for ice up, no doubt, especially as a tip top, but they don't last in the deep cold winter conditions we experience. I personally believe it is the alloy and it's resiliency below 32F. I also believe it is monofilament mainline related, but that experiment is ongoing as I have just switched to braid this winter and that is all I have used on my Closer. No signs of wear yet, but that rod has nowhere near the winter river miles and fish my CTS's have on them. The Closer's tip top will be easily replaceable since it is not wrapped, which is a big thumbs up from me. I'm fine replacing them every 5-10 years just glued on like that.

The GLX's have a SiC tip top, so that wasn't a problem, but the stripper guides and a few tip section guides groove I think due to the extremely poor spacing. I have not noticed any polishing/grooving on my CTS's tip section except for the tip top. The stripper guides on my CTS are only polishing right now, but they grooved pretty good on the first 15' GLX I had (not even a year old, I was in college and fished a lot more than I'm allowed to now...) - It was kindly replaced by Loomis with an investigation by both them and REC. If they found anything, they didn't tell me...

I had a custom spiral wrapped Closer tied up by Wyandotte very similar to the factory Closer, except I had him use Torzites all the way up. They are similarly light (not the same, but next closest thing if you drop down one ring size as recommended), much quieter, and the line flows smoother (REC's do cut down line flow slightly - I believe due to the double ringed additional surface area). Just an FYI.

Moral of the story:
    -They do save significant weight
    -They are GREAT for ice up conditions
    -They have to be suitably spaced (i.e. - not skimpy Loomis GLX spacing)
    -Hybrid guide train (bottom strippers and tip top need to be ringed ceramic of some sort)
    -I will likely have rods wrapped in the future both hybrid style and full SiC/Torzite style.

As long as you know this going in, you shouldn't have any surprises unless you find a QA/QC flub - which can happen with anything manufactured.

REG and slightofhand like this.
  2. slightofhand

slightofhand

Scared of recoils man. I just had a custom tied up with torzites half way up a 13 footer and titanium running guides right up to the tip. I like it so far, Mono flows like the guides aren’t even there. Nice and light compared to alloys I have used prior. I think guides make a huge difference on line wear and line handling. Guys don’t get how important that is on a float rod. First of all you have a million guides (touch points) that can slow your line down, not to mention potentially groove/wear and can add significant weight. And the ring shape/material can put a ton of friction on mono which I think goes largely unnoticed. Get the best guides you can for your application I guess is the best practice. Guides are more important to me than the blank itself given that it’s a decent blank to start with

3. Treven

Treven Banned

Yeah, agreed. I’m of the mindset to go ahead and spend close to the same amount on guides as the blank, if possible.

One other point I forgot to make above, is I think RECoils are a more sensitive system, especially on feel rods like NRX’s. Downside is the casting range is less than if the same rod was wrapped with ringed ceramics.

There are definitely tradeoffs associated with guide selection. Just wanted to put my experiences out there. I’ve posted a lot of negatives on RECs, but I do still like them for many applications!

slightofhand likes this.