Centerpin rod guides

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Millstream, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Millstream

Millstream

I am looking to build a 13 ft, 6-10 lb Loomis NFC rod. What guides are recommended? I was originally looking at titanium guides. Someone suggested the Minima guides and that the Alps, etc. were not worth the added costs. I plan to use size 8 running guides to minimize ice up. Thoughts?

2. wyandot

wyandot

If you want the best performance you can get despite the cost I'd recommend Titanium Fuji's. If you want the best bang for your buck I'd recommend Fuji Alconite's. There is a slight weight savings with the titanium frames and it is noticeable if you have the opportunity to do a side by side comparison. No right or wrong no matter which guides you choose really, just a matter of how much you can justify spending.

jmodyb and Treven like this.

3. slightofhand

slightofhand

Agree with the above. Titanium are nice especially if you are fishing a longer rod like a 13 and if you are using larger running guides. The small differences in weight add up over the length of the rod with 10+ guides. I have seen some increases in performance with silicon nitride inserts that are super hard and virtually frictionless. Torzite is the best for that but super $$. The silicon nitride are right there on performance for a fraction of the cost. Don’t see them around much tho they seem to be hard to find

4. vano397

vano397

I use three sets of guides on a regular basis. RECoils, Titanium frame SiC guides, and SS frame Alconite. You can now get the k series guides and running guides from Fuji in alconite rings in titanium frames. RECoils are great, light weight, but expensive. Fuji SiC, with titanium frames are the most expensive of the 3, provide a little less friction and are a scootch heavier than RECoils. Watch out that you are looking at the TYSG guides, and not the titanium plated ICYSG. The last is as good of a guide as you would ever need to buy, is about 1/6th of the cost, but you sacrifice a few grams of weight near the tip of the rod, which is amplified in the amount of fulcrum or torsion on your wrist. Not a lot, but somewhat noticeable after a long day of holding the rod straight in front of you... this is fixable with the appropriate reel, and handle dimensions.
    Torzite is absurd, gives no weight savings, and extremely little benefit for friction... to be double the previous most expensive the only reason I have used them is that a Fuji guy donated a set for a musky rod I built for a donation.
    I have used Minima 4 guides and they seem fine, but I haven't had a return on one of the others, so why fix it if it aint broke.
    Biggest thing, set your priorities. The performance of the guides in any of the mentioned guides is too close to complain. It comes down to cost in 99% of my builds.

abbatoys likes this.
  5. wyandot

wyandot

Torzite's are stupid expensive and hard to recommend. However, there is a weight savings since size 7 torzite's are the same i.d. as size 8 sic and alconite.

Treven and slightofhand like this.
  6. StaticSilveraydo

StaticSilveraydo

7. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

All the suggestions here are great. I also use the ss alps guides, very similar to Fuji alconites, and a tad cheaper. Same can be said imo of their titanium versus Fuji titanium..... for what it’s worth, I had never personally seen the grooving everyone talks about with recoils until recently. It was not the black pearl, but the silver ones.... it was ugly bad! I will not be using those on a build. Still have yet to personally see a black pearl issue though for what it’s worth. As for minimas, I have liked them, they are very light, very inexpensive, and work pretty good. I do notice more friction with them versus a ringed guide, but nothing that bothers me too much. No grooving on mine after pretty heavy use, I’ll check my buddies next time I’m with him, it’s pretty much his go to rod, and being that he lives 10 minutes from the launch, he spends a lot more time on the water than I am able to. He said he hasn’t noticed anything last we spoke on the topic though. Hope this helps!

8. jacks300ultra

jacks300ultra

recoil guides from REC is the way to go and the cost is less getting them from the manufacturer direct

Sent from my SM-G955U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Besides all the hype, are these guides REALLY worth it? I priced out building a closer, RECoil guides cost about as much as the blank. Just seems absurd, but that’s just me.

10. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

I did the recoil guides on the top half of my closer build and used a ss tip top and ss alconite on the bottom half. Worked out great. Saved some $ and less tip heavy. Rod is a dream to Fish

smokepole likes this.
  11. Firdog

Firdog

Fuji titanium’s worth every penny. Built a 13 ft and is lighter then 9’6” avid

12. wyandot

wyandot

That's a good, practical design. You will here about recoils grooving from some guys, but if you want the lightest guides you can get you take the risk. Besides, if you're building it for yourself it's not a huge issue to replace a few guides down the road.

13. slightofhand

slightofhand

I fished a guys new Blood Run SSF Centerpin this weekend it’s a sweet rod. Solid titanium frame guides but not sure what guides they are. Haven’t seen these before, not Fuji or alps so not sure. The entire 11’6” build is 5 ounces. Carbon fiber with slip rings. $200 for the whole deal also I might pick one up!

14. anticipation

anticipation

I'm about to order one myself ,wondering where you found it for 200 , I quoted 300.i use the bloodrun iridia rod now,wanted a second one but they don't make them anymore

15. slightofhand

slightofhand

Not sure where my buddy got it from. I have an iridia also both sizes. They are not discontinued I heard they are going to be available in a couple weeks. The iridia they said will be custom cork grips fixed and sliding setups and the SSF is just the carbon fiber handles. Same blanks and titanium guides on both