Centerpin Reel and Rod Recommendation

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by schmatzie, Apr 21, 2020.

1. schmatzie

schmatzie

I enjoy steelhead fishing, kind of addicted. I fish with a spinning combo. I am now thinking of giving centerpin gear a try. I’m looking for a recommendation for a good beginner rod and reel that won’t break the bank, but still is decent quality. Your opinions please. Thanks

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Do you have an idea of the budget you are looking at? “Break the bank” varies person to person.

What waters are you planning to fish? as that may help too.

lastly, purely a steelhead rod or are you going to attempt to dual use for salmon or inland trout?

3. schmatzie

schmatzie

I’m looking at spending maybe $250 or less on the combo. Dual purpose for steelhead and salmon is preferable. Fish SE MI streams and up north rivers, Betsie, Manistee. Hope this clarifies what I’m looking for.

4. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

That’s about the cheapest you can get into the game without trying an eBay reel to be honest. Miiiiiight be able to find something used better than my suggestion.... but a shimano rod, and an aventa reel would be about the best I could think of at that price. It also wouldn’t be able to dual purpose se Michigan steelhead, and nw Michigan Kings.

SE Michigan streams I’d look at a lighter rod, 4-8, maybe 6-10 rating based on smaller fish and lighter rigs. Kings, you need to be able to slap on at least 15lb leader. So the shimano suggestion won’t cover kings, but will get you started on steelhead.

me personally these days I’m just using a baitcaster for kings. The heavier skein presentation is enough to get a fluid drift freespooling a drift for kings. Okuma sst rods can be had for cheap.

I hope this helps. Curious to see what other ideas others offer up!

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

6. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

If you want to make the compromise for both steel and kings, the Lami redline 12’ or Okuma Sst are probably your best choices at the 200 and under price point.
    The Riversider 11’3” is now available in a heavier action, 6-14lb that would be the best choice in sub $100 rods

7. kingfisher72

kingfisher72

Salmon season is so short. I'd get something ideal for the steelheading you plan to do. During salmon season just use whatever budget 10' rod you have now and put the float reel on. Shorter rods give the fish less leverage on you and wont be as tiring as a longer rod would be to fight salmon. Additionally, the heavy rigs cast and trot fine with shorter rods.

Rods in the 12-14' length designed or sold as crappie fishing rods make great budget steelhead float rods. They can be had for $50 or so. I have a few of the BnM pro staff rods in the 12' length and use them a lot.

Grinnell likes this.