Center pin advise

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by outdooraddict, Oct 29, 2019.

1. outdooraddict

outdooraddict

Looking at getting into center pin method. I’ve always used large arbor fly reel or spin cast. Obviously limits the length of drift. What is a alternative to center pin reel. I heard Okuma makes a reel they acts similar to center pin and way easier to use. I’m looking for something that is not as touchy as center pin real that is similar for making longer drifts. I’m running a 11’ custom rod now ,just looking for reel to help with longer runs. Thanks

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Your options are a true centerpin setup, or a bait caster for longer drifts. By Okuma making an alternative - are you referring to the dr2 with drag system that can be engaged? Just need a little more clarity for your request.

1MoreKast likes this.

3. 1MoreKast

1MoreKast

Hmm - I think the most similar method would be using a baitcasting reel.

The great thing about a center pin is that they are "touchy". Meaning in some cases, a slight breeze will allow your pin to spin freely. Control is the #1 advantage of a centerpin giving the user ultimate authority to how it spins and dictates how your presentation flows down stream.

Aside from a center pin I think for longer runs a baitcasting set up may be your best shot.

4. outdooraddict

outdooraddict

I’m assuming your right on with the Okuma. I heard from others that was easier to use. Just trying to get something A little more friendly to use. Hate the baitcast bird nest mess of a real and not a fan of operation of normal pin. Have used before and hated it. We love to bobber fish for salmon/steelhead.

5. 1MoreKast

1MoreKast

Yeah they are a pain to get the hang of. Nothing wrong in trying the other style and hope it works for you if you get one. If any advise could be given it would be to stick with it and practice. Once you get the method down it's like riding a bike :) Good luck!

eagle eyes likes this.
  6. outdooraddict

outdooraddict

Very much appreciate all the in site! May have to take the time to be efficient with center pin.

AdamBradley and 1MoreKast like this.