close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Center Console or Aluminum

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by huntmichigan, Feb 7, 2018.

1. huntmichigan

huntmichigan

I'm hoping by late spring I will be in the market for my first real boat, would like it both to be a fishing boat and pleasure boat. What application do you think is better suited for a dual set up? Id like it to be big enough to handle the bay but not to large that I cant trailer it to other smaller inland lakes.
    What are the pros and cons of each?

2. jigornot

jigornot Premium Member

Do you mean glass vs aluminum? Or center console vs walk thru shield? I know I like my walk thru if only for seeing the old lady in a bikini bouncing across the waves.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. huntmichigan

huntmichigan

I guess i mean a glass center console vs an aluminum walkthrough

4. iboat

iboat

Im not a real fan of cc boats until they get above 24 foot in length. You loose alot of room in the smaller versions.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. jigornot

jigornot Premium Member

I would lean on walk thru. Usually offers more removable seating. Pick a boat with high sides for the bay and a motor in the 75% of max size rating. Being under powered really bites.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

dachief likes this.
  6. WoW.

WoW.

center console is probably not the best for a pleasure boat but it sure is great for everything else

7. ready2fish

ready2fish

I would suggest deciding on tin or glass 1st then go look a few and learn what type of layout works best then ask about a specific boat,otherwise you will get way to many suggestions and get lost on everyone help

8. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Best is neither. Glass walk through. :) I run a little tin tiller inland and a glass walk through on the big lakes.

Center consoles suck in early and late seasons, nowhere to hide from wind and spray.

9. U D

U D

Center console Aluminum.

Bit I do like my Walk through Aluminum.

10. fishindad

fishindad

You're asking too much from one single boat. A true pleasure boat isn't set up well for fishing and a true fishing boat won't work well for pleasure boating. As far as boat length, that's up to what you feel comfortable towing to smaller lakes and comfortable using on the big waters.

Since you mention it will be your first "real" boat (not really sure what that means), I would suggest one of those glass "fish and ski" boats, about 18-19 feet in length.

11. Fishndude

Fishndude

My Lund 1800 Fisherman can pull skiers/tubers just fine, and was pretty much built for Walleye fishing. Bow mounted trolling motor, main motor + kicker, rod holder bases, downrigger bases, swivel seats, and walk-through windshield. It works great for fishing, and pretty well for recreational boating. In a pinch I can troll the big lakes for coldwater fish if the seas are light.