Cell cam success

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by springIstrutfallIrut, Nov 26, 2020.

1. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

One of my top goals for this season was to implement cell cameras on the main properties that I hunt. Trail cams are digital gold for me and my deer hunting. Over the years I have determined that I get some of the most valuable information from traditional cams before and after season. It was clear that trail cams were largely an inventory tool to see which bucks I had around. Of course my cams were out during hunting season but checking cards every 3-7 days , some not being pulled for weeks , wasn't really doing me much good at the time I needed information from them. I guess it was the fact of being frustrated by looking at pictures of previous days activity that had since ceased or changed. Can't even tell you how many times I'd see pictures of a good buck hanging in a spot for a couple days and here I am days / weeks later hunting it and that buck has since moved on....
    The fact that I could get pictures of certian bucks using particular properties or areas within hours - even immediately - instead of days later pushed me to invest in cellular. Hunting multiple properties always poses tough decision making on where to go. My typical thought process involved things like wind direction, current crops, previous years experience etc. I was excited to use cell cameras to help decide where my morning , evening or mid day / all day sits would be.
    One of my new cell cameras was put up on a creek crossing this summer. I hung a licking vine about 10 ' from it and the deer took to it very well. There has been easily 20+ different bucks, and a good number of 3.5+ yr olds use that vine from late summer through the fall. Last weekend I had plans to get out for some gun hunting after a slow wet opening morning and then working the following week. Saturday morning I sat behind my house on a recently cut cornfield and saw a large 8 pt tied up with a hot doe. I went back out there that afternoon with high hopes only to have a large group of mature does come out , no big buck in tow. Sunday morning had predicted east winds that would work nicely for the stand I sat Saturday morning as well as the property with the licking vine. Having the encounter with the 8 earlier in the morning I was thinking I'd go back to that stand. I checked my cell cam pics Saturday night and was surprised to see one of my hit list bucks using the scrape below the licking vine at 5 pm Saturday evening. It appeared there may be a hot doe around as well. I decided I better go there Sunday morning. My decision was reinforced when I woke up to find that a nice 120" 8 Pt was using the vine and dogging a doe past the cam during the night along with a good amount of other deer. At 7:45 am I got a 60 yd shot off on the buck that came into the vine the previous evening at 5pm. He's a 12 pt with triple split brow tines. If 4 of his points would have been a 1/2 " longer he would've been a 16 pt!
    If I hadn't got the cell pics of him Saturday night I most likely wouldn't have went to that spot and been after the big 8 I saw Saturday morning.

20201122_080851~2.jpg
    20201122_095817-1.jpg
    20201122_114657-2.jpg

JPWARD, TJD, IceHog and 46 others like this.
  2. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Dandy deer! I’ve been thinking of trying out cell cams at least in a few spots. Your success reinforces why they can be worth while.

3. Old lund

Old lund

The cell cams are definitely a game changer ! Congrats on the bruiser buck

springIstrutfallIrut likes this.
  4. Got into the cell cam use this year after running non cell cams for several years. Check them all day and I like it when I m walking to a spot to check and see if anything is around Will be purchasing more

great buck also. Congratulations

Wild Thing likes this.
  5. MrFysch

MrFysch

Most of my go to spots in da UP have no cell service but yes I agree they are game changers!

6. old graybeard

old graybeard

7. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

I know you like Browning cams, haven't heard much about their cell cams so try em out and let us know what you think! Non cellular cams will quickly be obselete for me as I can use cell cams without a plan in the off season by pulling the card and then starting up a plan to go to the app on my phone during season.

Milosh, sparky18181 and Wild Thing like this.
  8. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Congrats..... that’s a heck of a buck! I just got two more Spypoint link darks in the mail yesterday. Cabela’s has $150 off of them for Black Friday week, ordered them Monday and they came on Wednesday! Once agin congrats on a awesome buck!
    Flight
    A950746C-041D-406E-99B7-CD15A6AFD0F6.jpeg

9. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

Brow tines are awesome!! Great job!! Dandy buck!!

10. Andrew Herman

Andrew Herman

Do you have a particular camera or brand you'd recommend? I've heard very mixed reviews of the spypoint link micro that seem to be so popular. Thanks.

11. I ve bought two Tactacam reveals and couldn’t be happier. I tried a SPYPOINT and out of the box it needed to be updated. Back it went
    Tough to find the reveals right now but for 99 bucks they are my choice Very easy to use and the app lets you make adjustments from your phone

12. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

Congrats on a great buck. I do love checking my camera app while on stand.

13. deepwoods

deepwoods Premium Member

14. Slick Trick40

Slick Trick40

Congrats very nice buck! I’m envious of the cell cams. Just seems like it’s sorta like cheating and cuts into the fair chase aspect. Maybe next year I’ll breakdown and get some

15. Sprytle

Sprytle Premium Member

Great Buck! Congrats!