CDW, what if gets worse

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Raider_03, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Raider_03

Raider_03

If CDW continues to spread, what changes could help? How about on allowing deer hunting at night, archery only?

2. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Sure I'll go along with that. It might be the only way I'll ever get the B1G1.

3. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

Sure. And you'll need light to see so let's revoke the ban on spotlights at night. No reason to limit it to archery. Firearms from elevated platforms would be just as safe. And...

FullQuiver likes this.
  4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

There is not “if” anymore. It’s obvious it’s radiating out from Montcalm county. The first step is the DNR just needs to get hunters on board with current regulations. Compliance is already very low in the CWD zone per statement made at the NRC meeting.

FullQuiver likes this.
  5. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Maybe the NRC Need To Step Up and Make Their Decisions in March and Not August!!! That would Help because They Seem to Ptrint the Hunting Guide in June so Any "CHANGES" Are Not Reflected or Up To Date and Then We have to Continue Asking the DNR what About This and That and They Get Overwheilmed They Do Not Get Back To You for SDeveral Weeks!! Maybe SOme need to Advise the NRC They need to Get AHead and Not Always behind as They Seem to ALWAYS BE!!!!!!!
    Because what is the Hunting Guide is Not Actually What They Decided On As fir the "24 Hour Check In Requirement"!!! And I have an email that Has a Lot Better Information than the GUIDE Has!!!
    Newaygo1

jimlin13 and Waif like this.
  6. Groundsize

Groundsize

One issue is the fact that shooting more deer does not stop CWD or at least is proven through study to do so. Just because the DNR says so doesn't mean its right. More people seem to know that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. The reality of the situation is that we can hope to slow it up. No matter how much sportsmen's money we throw at it the best we can do is postpone the inevitable.

So how much money do we throw at it at the expense of other programs? Right now a very high percentage of DNR WD money is being sunk into a program that looks good, feels good, sounds good, but in the end will surely turn out to be a bottomless pit. Mark my words! FM

Sparky23 and Groundsize like this.
  8. swampbuck

swampbuck

Hunters are going to continue to focus on their own personal desires/goals. They dont want to try anything unless it works....and you wont know that unless you try.

We as hunters will fail and our children and grandchildren will lose

9. sniper

sniper

Hey swampy, what is the right thing for hunters to do?..Since you seem to know what all us hunters do....Popcorn in microwave will be done in 2 minutes..

Sent from my LG-H871 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Dish7 likes this.
  10. swampbuck

swampbuck

Follow the cwd plan. give it a chance to work.

11. sniper

sniper

Good luck with that...Lots of hunters been following that plan before it was a plan for years and look where it has gotten us..You can dream in one hand and ****e in the other..

Sent from my LG-H871 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Dish7 and Groundsize like this.
  12. U D

U D

Raider03 - Help me understand. How does allowing Archery only night hunting help with the CWD problem??

13. Raider_03

Raider_03

Hi, my only thought was to increase the success rate for hunters in CDW areas. Deer are active outside the current hunting hours, extending the allowed hunting time could increase success rates. I suggested archery because of the limited range, should be safer then firearms. If reducing the deer population won't help with CDW then this suggestion won't help either.
    Thank you everyone who has provided input.

14. Waif

Waif

Tag amounts are enough to lower populations.
    Hunter participation by filling tags is a greater issue than the hunters seeing deer.

I've met hunters /landowners who are not enamored of bringing the local herd down to single figures per sq. mile. Success to them equals there being huntable numbers of deer.
    After multiple years in a C.W.D. zone ,I am beginning to see their reasoning. Right or wrong.
    Would you kill the last few deer in the area you hunt?

15. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

Exactly. The guy who owns a large amount of property next to me, told 2 younger kids that only bowhunted it, that they could no longer hunt there because he wasn't seeing enough deer (from his kitchen window). This is in a management area, and there are more than enough deer around. Bottom line is that most people enjoy seeing a large number of deer, not likely they will change their views.

Joe Archer likes this.