close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cats on ice

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by headbanger421, Oct 10, 2017.

1. headbanger421

headbanger421

I'm looking for any tips/info anyone has catching cats on hard water. I caught one by accident a few years ago and I've been thinking they'd be fun to actually target.

357Maximum likes this.
  2. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I catch them on really cold years that allow access to the ice in the I ain't not gonna name it river. Big knarly and deep outside bend hole works great on the increasingly rare year when is safe to do such a thing. Salted shiner or fresh frozen cutbait works just fine. Live "walleye" minnows work too but the pike, bass, and walleye interrupt the cattin. :lol:

headbanger421 likes this.

3. hawgeye

hawgeye

Try Catfish Hole on the Saginaw Bay. We catch them while walleye fishing quite often. Bring stout gear, they will tear up walleye gear pretty quickly!

headbanger421 likes this.
  4. rockandtroll

rockandtroll

I use shiners, suckers and smelt(dead or alive) on my tip ups and all 3 cats I've incidentally iced over the years have been on larger deep, clear lakes on the shiners hung 6 ft off bottom in 20+ ft of water.
    Not only are they fun to wrestle with, they are excellent table fare when chunked up and deep fried.

357Maximum likes this.
  5. headbanger421

headbanger421

My accidental catch was jigging for gills. I dropped my jig tipped with 2 spikes and let it hit the bottom, I reeled it about 2 feet off the bottom and a 12" channel came in a smacked it.

6. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I caught about a dozen on a small lake 6-7 years ago during a thunder snow weather event. It was totally crazy fun. I still catch one every now and then on the same lake but there was something special about that weather change...

Jimbos likes this.
  7. Zach Howell

Zach Howell

I would try dead sticking normal catfish baits (cut bait, hot dogs, chicken livers, maybe stink baits) on the bottom. You might have some luck with that. With live bait, you'll definitely get other species first. I targeted catfish quite a bit this summer and I think you have better luck with non-moving baits especially with the catfish species that are in Michigan.