close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cats on ice

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by headbanger421, Oct 10, 2017.

1. headbanger421

headbanger421

I'm looking for any tips/info anyone has catching cats on hard water. I caught one by accident a few years ago and I've been thinking they'd be fun to actually target.

357Maximum likes this.
  2. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I catch them on really cold years that allow access to the ice in the I ain't not gonna name it river. Big knarly and deep outside bend hole works great on the increasingly rare year when is safe to do such a thing. Salted shiner or fresh frozen cutbait works just fine. Live "walleye" minnows work too but the pike, bass, and walleye interrupt the cattin. :lol:

headbanger421 likes this.

3. hawgeye

hawgeye

Try Catfish Hole on the Saginaw Bay. We catch them while walleye fishing quite often. Bring stout gear, they will tear up walleye gear pretty quickly!

headbanger421 likes this.
  4. rockandtroll

rockandtroll

I use shiners, suckers and smelt(dead or alive) on my tip ups and all 3 cats I've incidentally iced over the years have been on larger deep, clear lakes on the shiners hung 6 ft off bottom in 20+ ft of water.
    Not only are they fun to wrestle with, they are excellent table fare when chunked up and deep fried.

357Maximum likes this.
  5. headbanger421

headbanger421

My accidental catch was jigging for gills. I dropped my jig tipped with 2 spikes and let it hit the bottom, I reeled it about 2 feet off the bottom and a 12" channel came in a smacked it.

6. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I caught about a dozen on a small lake 6-7 years ago during a thunder snow weather event. It was totally crazy fun. I still catch one every now and then on the same lake but there was something special about that weather change...

Jimbos likes this.
  7. Zach Howell

Zach Howell

I would try dead sticking normal catfish baits (cut bait, hot dogs, chicken livers, maybe stink baits) on the bottom. You might have some luck with that. With live bait, you'll definitely get other species first. I targeted catfish quite a bit this summer and I think you have better luck with non-moving baits especially with the catfish species that are in Michigan.

jathward and dirtyfisheyes187 like this.
  8. xhoosiericeman

xhoosiericeman

ive always caught them on tipups with a minnow fishing for walleye. i have caught a few over the years. i might try stinkbait under a tipup on pontiac lk this winter, i cant imagine not catching one as pontiac is full of channel cats

9. Cod

Cod

on many lakes i fish, fishing at dark with minnows low to the bottom work great for bullhead if u enjoy those. I just use a small tungsten jig and small minnows

10. xhoosiericeman

xhoosiericeman

i want to catch a mess of those, any lake you could suggest? ive not caught too many bullheads i think ive iced more channel cats than bullheads. i was wacthin youtube vids and it takes all of 20seconds to pandress one

11. Cod

Cod

the specific one i catch a ton of them is a private lake, but ik many oakland county lakes have bullhead populations. holly rec lakes has em for example. i feel like small weedy lakes, you have better chances of getting bullhead.

12. xhoosiericeman

xhoosiericeman

thanks i went to the dnr website they gave me a list of good bullhead lakes, didnt know that i could do that. they listed the one youre talkin about, tipsico, and a couple others i havent heard of...lookin forward to puttin some on the ice

13. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

Gotta find a lake that has a good population of catfish. Then fish in like 15 to 35 feet of water near the bottom with cut bait. There are some good articles on ice fishing for catfish as well on the internet that are really helpful.

xhoosiericeman likes this.
  14. Milbo

Milbo

[​IMG] I caught a 28" channel cat this weekend while jigging for gills with spikes. It was quite a battle on 2lb line. Once I wore her down she was too big to get through my 4 1/2" hole. I was alone so I loosened the drag and put my rod in the jet sled and quickly drilled a second hole at an angle. Picked the rod back up and brought her back to the hole while trying to stomp the ice through left between the two holes. I got her out and ended up putting her back. Boy, was that fun!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018 at 10:33 AM
    357Maximum likes this.
  15. 357Maximum

357Maximum

On 2lb that must have been fun. Ya know them channel kitties through the ice taste better than any of them beady eyed spot tail perch everyone gets all oogly boogly about don'y ya?