Catfish

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by DecoySlayer, Jul 7, 2020.

1. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

My wife and are are looking to take a short break towards the end of the month. I would like to take the boat, a PolarKraft 2010CC, so it's not real small.

We would just like to relax and maybe do some catfishing. I don't want to fish around the big cities. I was thinking about the lower St. Joe. I have never really ventured out from my home for cats in Michigan.

Any suggestions?

2. piketroller

piketroller

I would suggest the lower Grand River. The coast guard clears out most of the wood upstream to Bass River rec area so you don’t have to worry a ton about blasting into something with your boat. This means you won’t find many flatheads in that stretch, but there are plenty of channel cats. You could do the numbers thing for lots of smaller fish in the very shallow Indian Channel or look around other areas for bigger ones.

roger15055 likes this.

3. Old Whaler

Old Whaler

I was going to tell you that there's numerous SW rivers and drowned river mouths where you can find an out-of-the-way place to drop the hook and soak some baits for cats, but PT makes a good case for the Grand.
    Unfortunately, most of the area PA ramps close at dark, though, so be aware of that. May not be an issue for you, but for me, catfishing is a nocturnal activity.

4. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Thought Monroe is the Catfish Capital of Michigan?

5. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Lower Grand or Macatawa in Holland. Do a lot of fishing on both and there are some good sized channel cats in each with the occasional flathead. Lot of 3-8lb channel cats this year and one 15lb and they have been aggressive hitting crankbaits and shrimp floated just off the bottom

20200531_065959.jpg

jiggin is livin and Sprytle like this.
  6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

We do a lot of catfishing around here. We are just looking to get away for a few days. My wife has to use, or lose, her vacation days. We are also looking at Sandusky Bay thanks to some info passed on to me from a MS member who saw this thread.

7. fishbucket

fishbucket

Lower Grand did not disappoint us when we went looking for a river monster. Caught on bluegill cutbait

20200515_161722(1).jpg