Catching fish with bare hands through the ice

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by Fishsmith85, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

Today while out pike fishing one of my thermal tip ups I was walking up to to check started bouncing around but the flag wasn’t popping up. I thought the line was probably tangled around the spool or something so I picked it up and there was a dogfish sitting in the hole I was able to grab it and realized it didn’t even have my bait. It was just trying to swim up through the ice. Second time this happened to me on two different bodies of water. Is this pretty common?
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I saw the water move in a hole in my shanty. Up came a nice sized bullhead. It stayed their long enough for me to get my gloves on to grab it so I did not get spined. It was dang good eating out of that cold water.

Esquire, MISTURN3, Greenyfish and 2 others like this.

3. ajhallfr

ajhallfr

Years ago in cedarville I had the same thing happen with a dogfish. Scared the crap out of me!

Fish King and Forest Meister like this.
  4. jimbo

jimbo

Must be fairly common. I had a bullhead do it to me once. I assumed oxygen was running low in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Fishsmith85 likes this.
  5. mjh4

mjh4

Never had that happen but have had a gar pike come up and nip at my vexilar transducer. I think it had something to do with the clicking sound the ducer makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Fishsmith85 likes this.
  6. PoppaRod

PoppaRod

Shoulda made dogfish/bowfin tacos maybe kinda sorta. I caught a carp through the ice last year, probably shoulda ate it. Trash fish always taste better through the ice

7. randall cobb

randall cobb

Same thing happened on Lake St Clair to me last weekend. Dogfish. He looked hungry. Was gonna give him a piece of jerky but he slowly sank back down.

Fishsmith85 and Downsea like this.
  8. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

Well it must be common because it happened a 2nd time tonight. Very strange catching more fish by hand than rod and line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I am not sure but I think that catching fish by hand could get a ticket.

10. Grizzyaries

Grizzyaries

Well don't try that when there's a muskrat in the hole LOL! Loose a finger!

11. Raylaser

Raylaser

12. Pelican257R

Pelican257R

Very disappointing. I thought this thread would be about ice fishing with a can of peas and a baseball bat. LOL.
    :(

13. Nik

Nik

i have never had this happen but dogfish have a lung a lot like a gar pike so i am beting that they see a hole in the ice and are trying to get a gulp of air

capper, Fishsmith85 and Waif like this.
  14. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

my buddy n I were fishing silver lake (kent co.) on first ice many years ago, the ice was clear, about 2+ inchs. he saw a big gill laying side ways under the ice, he started spudding to get it out, n it moved about 5ft. a way, so he moved over n started spudding again, n it moved again so he spudded a hole about a foot n a half wide, n started chasing the fish around the lake with the spud till it came up in the big hole he spudded earlier, he grabbed it, a nice gill just short of 11 inches

Fishsmith85 likes this.
  15. luckyfish

luckyfish

I've also had this happen a couple times out of the same body of water. Both dogfish and both looked like they were trying to eat my tranducer to the fish finder. Very strange. Freaked the hell outta me the first time but I still grabbed it and threw it on the ice. Nasty little buggers......o_O

Fishsmith85 likes this.