catch of the day

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by wyandot, Nov 25, 2017.

1. wyandot

wyandot

Seems like nobody ever posts much here anymore,so I thought I'd show off an odd-ball catch from this morning. I've caught them here and there on jigs and waxies over the years 20171125_104135.jpg , but this was the first ever on spawn

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. Treven

Treven Banned

Always a nice bonus catch! I've caught them on jigs and wax, crawlers, and beads under a float, but I don't recall spawn ever. Nice chunky eater, there!!

3. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

In one week (pre season) I caught 6 walleyes on spawn bags fishing for steelhead.

4. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I catch them often on egg flies in the spring, when they are in the river spawning. Seems odd that the 'eye was in the river this time of year. Good catch.

5. Munuscool

Munuscool

6. wyandot

wyandot

You know what's odd? My wife fried him up along with a hen steelhead I harvested the same day. The steelhead was better eating actually.

7. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I hate to tell you this buddy, but your taste buds must be screwed up.:bonk:

D

Treven, Boardman Brookies and wyandot like this.
  8. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Steelhead have me baffled. Sometimes it is fantastic, sometimes "yuck". I have been surprised a few times at river run walleye. Once in awhile I get a bad one, sort of like it is dried out, maybe stressed from being in the river or something.

9. wyandot

wyandot

Agreed. The best fried fish I ever remember having were steelhead caught in the Lake Superior surf. And I've ate a few along the way that absolutely tasted like $#@!.

10. jd4223

jd4223

I've seen more steelhead caught by fisherman(usually kids) using a jig and twister tail casting for walleyes!Very seldom seen anybody actually target steelhead and catch one.Of course this all takes place at Flatrock(Huron River).

11. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

My buddy caught a ten+ out of the manistee acouple years back. He was pissed it was a couple weeks before the opener. He wanted to mount it lol

12. Treven

Treven Banned

Replica... My 30" Tippy Dam pond walleye was released to keep getting bigger (no way I was killing a 30" inland fish...) and the repo is on my wall now.