Casting distances

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by bucktownboy, Nov 15, 2018.

1. bucktownboy

bucktownboy

I just gotten into centerpining. I've watched days of YouTube videos from the BC cast to the Wallis cast. Split shot placement , trout beads , soft and hard .
    I've been practicing casting in my yard .
    I would like to know what distances you veteran centerpinners are achieving with which cast and rod length.
    I understand that my casting distances will improve over time .
    When did everything just fall into place???

Thanks for your time
    Bucktownboy

2. wyandot

wyandot

I've never measured, but i'm certain that if i was just blasting it out there I could get over 100ft. I'm certain that within 75 feet I'm fairly accurate. It took me a good 3-4 years to get it down, but some guys get it down pat in 15 minutes.
    Sometimes I wallis cast and sometimes I side cast, and there's really no rhyme nor reason to it.

bucktownboy likes this.

3. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I’m pretty much same as jay when casting 11g with 12 or 13 foot rod rated in the 6-10 or so range. However with 10-17 lb 12’ rod lobbing 20 gram, it probably increases by about 25 feet if I need it.

That said - rarely need to cast that far. Most casts are probably within 50 feet.

Took me a couple of years to work out most kinks. I still do overrun on the lobs once in a while.

4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Adam and Jay have it said right. With a 12-13 foot rod, I can on occasion reach 100' in the yard with a heavier weighted object (16-20 gm.), never had to go that far on any river. My normal cast is in the 25-50' range with some degree of accuracy. I like the BC cast the best with the modified Wallis a close second. Most of my fishing is now from a river boat so that can make a difference.

nighttime and bucktownboy like this.
  5. Steelheader300mag

Steelheader300mag

If you want distance larger float more weight you can only cast a light rig so far it’s just mathematics I learned how to cat a center pin 25 years ago within 15 min I could cast farther than the man that taught me it is how you feel comfortable casting it don’t follow the rule follow what feels comfortable for you and if it works don’t change it

6. Steelheader300mag

Steelheader300mag

I was the first person to fish a centerpin on the Huron river that was over 20 years ago so some of those who fish the Huron know who iam did help with the fish ladder and was just a yougbuck back then lol