close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cased Caddis

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by adam bomb, Apr 13, 2018.

1. adam bomb

adam bomb

Anyone have any luck on these. I just tied up my first ones the other night. Gonna give em a whirl next trip up to the river.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1523676957.065482.jpg

Shoeman, mjh4, Mike and 1 other person like this.
  2. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Those look pretty good.

However, when I would pack a seine with me and do stream samples, the cased caddis were usually cream colored or olive green or brown. You might take some samples yourself on the streams you plan to fish those and find out for certain which colors predominate that particular stream.

Give them a go. Good luck, (They'll probably work fine.)

adam bomb and Gamechanger like this.

3. adam bomb

adam bomb

Thank you for the info! Much appreciated sir! Good luck on the river!

4. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Had a buddy of mine tie a bunch of La Fontaine cased caddis and did very well on them

The case is more of a veil.

[​IMG]

adam bomb, Gamechanger and Mike like this.
  5. BigPine

BigPine

I used to tie a pretty similar cased caddis, except I added a black bead up near the eye of the hook. They worked well for me in northern Wisconsin and the UP.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Gamechanger likes this.
  6. adam bomb

adam bomb

Is the veil Antron? Very buggy looking fly! I love it

7. adam bomb

adam bomb

I seen a pattern that used a glass bead against the hook eye and a tungsten bead with the large opening on the bead encapsulating the glass bead slightly. It gave a very realistic looking head. I believe they used floss to form the Caddis body and used deer hair for the case. Tied it down the shank and then used a straw to push it back. It made for a really nice evenly distributed grassy looking body.

8. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Here's another version using singed/burnt chenille.

I also recall someone actually using bits of sand and micro-gravel with epoxy to build cases on the hook shank. I'm pretty sure I saw it in Fly Tyer magazine. This one is from a Fly Tying forum

[​IMG]

Other examples are here: http://www.flytyingforum.com/tagCased.html

Gamechanger likes this.
  9. adam bomb

adam bomb

I actually watched that video where he melted the copper colored chenille. A really cool fly! Thank you for the link!!!

10. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

The burnt caddis looks like an easy effective pattern, thanks for the share. Sixteens get awfully small for a bic. What's a typical size for an average trout stream?

I've had a lot of luck with the La Fontain pups fishing it on the swing. Usually really aggressive takes without many missed grabs.

11. unclecrash

unclecrash

I like the burnt caddis too, would like to see more sand color in one , The sand one looks sweet for body is what I remember picking out of my seine, I thought of doing the exact same thing about 20 years ago but never did. was going to build a body up then coat with epoxy and thin coat of sand from the river I fish, never did it though. The black burnt mimics the dark little bits in the sand pretty good. One other thing I would change is to a straight hook, all the cased caddis I have seen were pretty straight. tapering slightly from smaller at bottom to bit bigger at the head

12. unclecrash

unclecrash

I like the burnt caddis too, would like to see more sand color in one , The sand one looks sweet for body is what I remember picking out of my seine, I thought of doing the exact same thing about 20 years ago but never did. was going to build a body up then coat with epoxy and thin coat of sand from the river I fish, never did it though. The black burnt mimics the dark little bits in the sand pretty good.

I have seen them in the huron about one inch to inch and a half. They can get bigger.