close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carp!!!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Dave Ash, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

Tom, different baits cause a different feeding response. The baits you speak of are instant type of baits (which are awesome) we are trying to get fish to come back to an area time and time again in the hopes they will begin to pattern the area and give the chance at getting them. The small bits, seeds, and peas are high in carbohydrates which provides some nutrients. The hemp seed is full of oils, and corn... well it's corn.

Tom_Miller likes this.
  2. jrose

jrose

Catching a carp even by accident has never been a bad thing!

Tom_Miller likes this.

3. droptine989

droptine989

Unless it trashes my crawler harness I picked up that morning lol

jrose likes this.
  4. tmitchell2889

tmitchell2889

Caught this one last Sunday. LSC. Not the biggest but has a unique scale configuration, thought I'd share. carp 1.JPG Carp 2.JPG

Waif, ESOX, Far Beyond Driven and 2 others like this.
  5. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

This spring has been less than eventful for me. I have managed to get out fishing five times since the ice loosened its grip on the best state in the continental United States. The first four sessions of the year were in less than ideal conditions. The water has been high, cold and dirty in my home waters and it looks like it will continue to be that way with more rain in the two week forecast. The bait has been going in constantly with hit or miss results. Three nice fish have come out for members of the West Michigan Carp Anglers along with a few smaller fish. Until today, I was still sitting on four solid blanks and the nice start to my summer sun tan.
    Through the week, I had planned on getting out fishing today (Good Friday) as my work is gracious enough to give us the day off with pay for the holiday. Thursday night the wife calls to let me know that Captain Emmah was not feeling well and had a fever. It was safe to say that I was crushed as I had busted hump to get my gear, bait, and rigs ready for my next shot at redemption. Although I was devastated that my plans to fish were derailed, I was really looking forward to a morning of the Trolls movie with the best fishing partner a dad could ask for. When she is not feeling well she is a little daddy’s girl who wants to snuggle all the time. I woke up at 0400 this morning ready to be daddy daycare expecting Emmah to still be under the weather and she wasn’t. The wife told me to “go fishing” and before she could complete her sentence I was out of bed and dressed and on my way to make coffee. I did not want to give her the chance to change her mind or find a “honey to-do list”.
    I showed up to the swim a bit before light and hauled my gear the few hundred yards to the swim. I sat watching and debiting what my approach should be. I have stuck out so far this year on my standby fruity/salty bait. It was time for a change, and I dug deep and mentally convinced myself that I should fish with fishy oily baits. Those of you that know me well, know I HATE catfish and avoid these types of baits at all cost. After a quick scavenger hunt through my carp bait travel bag, I mixed up some oats back with fish pellets and 2 cans of cheap, slimy tuna. I planned to fish two rods over a baited spot with corn and one rod 30-40 yards down the bank with this nasty concoction. In my mind it was go big or go home so I dug out a very grotesque smelling 15mm boilie. This boilie was the cherry on the top of the sunday in the wonderful world of foul smelling carp bait.

The lines sat motionless for hours as I topped of the rods every hour on the hour with a quarter scoop of boiled feed corn. I was content to watch the sun come up and watch the odd fish crash around 70 yards out. The morning drug on and my coffee reserves were now fast approaching drought status my far rod that I had placed down the bank had a solid drop back, I grabbed my net and mat and made my way down the bank. The bobbin soon lurched forward and my first fish of the season was off and running. A brief battle ensued and I was the victor. I was now off my streak of blanks and could care less if I caught again for the rest of the session. I was able to get photos, return the fish to the water, and get my rod back on the spot within minutes. In the back of my mind I was going to sit around and enjoy another cup of coffee and then make my way home to get some things done that I had been avoiding. What I had in my mind and what was going to happen were two totally different things.
    I was excited to see how the photos of the 22 pound creature that had just graced my mat, I no more than had poured another cup of coffee and was admiring my first fish of 2017 as my margin rod screamed off. This fish new where he was going and dove head long into the snags and was not ready to come out. After ten minutes of gentle coaxing the second fish of 2017 was in the net. I looked up at the rod down the bank just in time to see the bobbin drop and take off. I worked feverishly to get the fish in the net released and sprint down the bank with cradle and net in hand to start a race one-hundred yards behind. Fifteen minutes into the battle I knew I had my hands full. The fish would kite back and forth around forty yards out, but would not come closer. As I continued to inch the fish forward, I knew I had a special fish. Inch by inch the size of the fish came into focus. The net slid under her and she was mine. A 27 pound 4 oz Michigan monster laid in the cradle as my third rod tore off. I put the fish in the retainer and tied her off only to watch my last screaming run fall off. I could care less at this point, as I had my prize in the sling. A few minutes later she too was released to be caught another day, after photos of course.
    I thought had them figured out at this point as I had just had four bites in forty-five minutes. I found myself smiling ear to ear as I sat another three hours without as much as a beep or a show.
    A win is a win.. no matter how smelly of a win it was. Three fish over twenty pounds. I will take that any day.. I enjoyed a nice morning on the bank and got off the mark. Now I get to spend the afternoon with my mini me.

Till next time Mr. Carp!

Interested in learning how to catch a bronze bruiser, you're always welcome to come along to learn more about the family oriented sport of Euro catch and release carp fishing

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492198166.511427.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492198223.584163.jpg

6. Tom_Miller

Tom_Miller

Very well written, Dave. I felt like I was reading a magazine. Those fish are a couple jumbos!

7. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

Thanks Tom, I really enjoy writing about fishing, I made a New Years resolution to get back into it.

Tom_Miller and Mike like this.
  8. junkman

junkman

Nice write up Dave.I always enjoy reading your posts.

9. june bugger

june bugger

mr Dave Ash, do you have a basic ground bait recipe for bluegills that I could make for shore fishing, Thanks for any help

10. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

I have not done much with bluegill and ground baits.

11. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1494722074.280590.jpg

Here is a good view of the bait I have been using as of late!

Mike likes this.
  12. junkman

junkman

Dang Dave that looks good enough to eat.Is that BBQ sauce on it?:)

13. junkman

junkman

That is a really cool looking mirror carp you got there.

14. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

Junkman, it's a mix of oils, cinnamon, cumin, chili powder, pepper flake, salt and garlic

15. junkman

junkman

So it is kinda like BBQ sauce.Have you ever tasted it?