close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carp!!!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Dave Ash, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

A budy made a short video of some carp caught by the Michigan catch and release carp group.

Spring is just around the corner, if you are interested in trying something new an exciting please give rod and reel carp fishing a try.

I haven taken a few guys from this site out over the years who absolutely had a blast. Take a a few minutes to "like" the PB teams recent captures.

https://www.facebook.com/PersonalBestFishing/

2. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I love Carp

Carp are probably the most reliable "big fun" fish we have in the state. I grew up on the banks of the Muddy Maple/Upper Grand and I have a deep respect for the common carp. They are super fun to tangle with on hook and line. Their babies sure make pike/catfish and other predators fat also. There was good reason our forefathers brought them here.

I fish them from an ice cold gravel pit occasionally. From good cold clean water the smaller carp are damn fine table fare too. I actually prefer clean water carp to them nasty azz salmon for the table truth be told. When I finally realized how good a fish a carp actually is I quit shooting them with my bow out of respect. If more people respected them like they deserve some fisheries would not be "feed/bait shy" like they are in my opinion.

I love carp, sheepshead, bullheads, suckers, bowfin and all the other red haired stepchildren of the fishing world. If there were more open minds in the U.S others would too.

Tom_Miller likes this.

3. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

Glad you enjoy getting out for them. I have a salmon boat, I have a river boat, and I defiantly have put my time in pier fishing, but nothing beats a great day on the bank with nice weather and the rods on the alarms.
    Being someone that does not eat fish more than once a year, I could care less what a carp tastes like, I like the amount as well as the quality of the battles.
    I think the other thing that makes me so infatuated with carp is you can make it as complicated to as simple as you want. Although my gear may be a bit on the tarty side, the simplicty of gear to get into the sport is what originally drew me to it. From time to time I still take out the Whuppin sticks and steelhead reels to relive what started my great addiction.

danthebuilder likes this.
  4. wintrrun

wintrrun Banned

I agree.
    Carp fishing puts a smile on my face.
    Been that way for 30+ years.

Tom_Miller likes this.
  5. 357Maximum

357Maximum

My gear is pretty simple, a couple of old 12 foot Heddon noodle rods and Shaimano baitrunner reels, but I love to fish them. If you ever wanna try either of them two spots I told you about in the PM, just holler. The river spot I described is literally 4 miles from my house and can be walked to with a 3/8 mile walk. I normally boat to that spot, but it can be accessed by foot legally if you are not carrying too much "stuff". Most people will tell you that area is unrunnable with any non jet or non hyperdrive mudmotor unit. I run it full out with a 25 horse outboard on an 18 foot modVflattbotom and have not broken anything YET. :lol:

I eat the occasional fish and I tried carp because a Nordic exchange student showed me what I was missing as a youth. He was both amazed and disgusted by our carp fishery/attitudes toward the big golden beasties. The United States is probably the only place in the world that treats a very regal fish the way "we" do. Over the years I have come to share the disgust that Nordic Angler felt way back in 1989 when he was here for exchange.

6. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

We will have to get together and do it sometime... Its a great way to pass a nice day.

7. raisinrat

raisinrat Outdoorblog.net Member Premium Member

Love catching carp!!!
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1451907355.299429.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1451907369.864200.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1451907381.999329.jpg

Tom_Miller and The Eyes Have It like this.
  8. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

Those are some nice captures raisin rat. [​IMG]

This was my personal favorite of mine from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom_Miller and The Eyes Have It like this.
  9. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

Mornings like this make it awesome too [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Waif

Waif Premium Member

New and exciting started in the late sixties for me.
    Never did get too tarty or thilly though. L.o.l..
    Was releasing the majority in the mid to late seventies and lots of night hours spent in the summer fishing carp.
    I spotted some healthy brutes a couple places in recent years and left them unworked. Thought provoking though.

11. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

The tartyness of it is more a thing of comfort for me.

Waif likes this.
  12. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Tartyness?? Please explain....

13. Dave Ash

Dave Ash

The definition of tartyness is subjective. It really refers to how "fancy" someones gear is.

We all know you can catch carp on a walmart rod and sweetcorn on a hook. It works, but when you really get into carp fishing there are a million things you can do to make your stay on the bank much easier on you.

Examples:
    12' carp rods to cast farther and be able to fish method
    bait runner reels so you can leave them on free spool till you have a bite
    Bite alarms so your free spooling reels will sound an alarm. This way you can snooze.

The list is endless: Take a second to watch the video below of the founder of Michigan carp and you will see his old tarty set up

14. AntiHuntersLoveMe

AntiHuntersLoveMe

I love carp fishing to!

Attached Files:

Sparky23 likes this.
  15. Waif

Waif Premium Member

You could wear a smoking jacket and slippers and I'd still cheer you on.
    Euro methods are well worth noting indeed..Finesse may not be the right word , but it and presentation matter.