Can't Depend On Contractors Anymore

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Polkahero, Oct 22, 2020.

1. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

Partially overload.

I need a sliding glass door replaced. got quotes from a few places. The soonest any of them can replace it? February/March.

One guy told me it's taking 8-10 weeks for him to get doors/windows in after placing an order.

brushbuster likes this.
  2. tom_the_chemist

tom_the_chemist

I might know someone that can do flashing. PM me the specific area. This is a small job that big contractors dont want or need. You need more of a handyman.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I have trouble finding a "handyman" that will show up, and do a good job. There are SO many opportunities out there for a small, profitable, business with low start up costs. Too bad they are ignored.

4. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I have a crazy amount of people asking me if I do side work. I have been thinking about retiring early and start up a handy man service, but not sure I want the headache. Finding help is almost impossible, materials are sky high, getting what you order is almost non existent, lead times on material is crazy. I'm not so sure I'd like that headache. The truth is, people are swamped, materials are high orders aren't being filled and nobody wants to pay what a contractor is worth. How many people here would baulk at at paying 50-100 bucks an hour for a crew to come in?

brewster and BumpRacerX like this.
  5. Polkahero

Polkahero

What's a phone book? Lol

Scott K and tincanary like this.
  6. big buck 75

big buck 75

Why is help so hard to find. Unemployment rate is approx. 8 percent? on the news all I hear is how people lost there jobs and are hurting. Are people getting paid to stay home?

7. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

A relative my age lost his engineering job when the company he worked with was bought out over a year ago. Guy has been in auto engineering his entire adult life. He's back to another firm doing his thing now, but in that year he was out of work he did handyman work. Bathroom remodels, Kitchens, decks and painting. Said he had more work than he could handle and really had to push himself to get back into a 9to5 as he enjoyed being his own boss. Guess the money wasn't terrible either. His experience came from doing his own work and youtube. Lol

vsmorgantown likes this.
  8. Polkahero

Polkahero

Sending you a PM, Tom. This is literally a matter of life and death due to mold issues in our house.

9. jatc

jatc

Help is available if a guy is willing to pay. Problem is most of these so called “contractors” only want to pay $12 per hour and then 1099 their guys. A guy can work fast food and be farther ahead.

brushbuster and plugger like this.
  10. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Who in hell can live on $362 a week before taxes?

Fishndude and brushbuster like this.
  11. brushbuster

Because of wages. If I wanted to employ someone that would stay around it would cost roughly 50 grand a year to do so..

brewster, anagranite and jatc like this.
  12. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

That is part of the problem. There isn't anyone looking for the skilled tradesmen job, but everyone wants to be a pencil pusher. Pay up.

13. Polkahero

Polkahero

I wish I could physically do this type of work but I just can't do it anymore due to health issues. I'm struggling just to keep my motorcycle parts side business going. Thank you Lyme Disease and Mold Toxicity!

14. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

A guy living in a hut on the beaches of Thailand.

15. brushbuster

Throw in the costs of vehicles, maintenance, insurance on them, Heath insurance, cost of gas, bidding ordering, scheduling, ****, the cost of doing things,no body wants to pay.

16. tincanary

tincanary

A figure of speech lol

Polkahero likes this.