Can't Depend On Contractors Anymore

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Polkahero, Oct 22, 2020.

1. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

Main reason I try and do all these tasks myself plus a project only costing 25 - 30% is also a bonus!

2. bobberbill

bobberbill

So much business and so far behind, contractors can't afford to spending all week going around doing estimates on little jobs.

fishmark, miruss, Ieatshrooms and 9 others like this.

3. Radar420

Radar420

I have a very small business doing outdoor lighting and this year has been insane. I had 50 calls during shutdown from people who were asking if we were available to come out (umm no I'm stuck at home just like you). It took me 2 months to catch up with all those people plus my previous commitments (I had jobs sold from last year to finish.) As it is now I'm still booked 2+ months out, short-handed on help, and more people calling everyday. I've already begun to tell prospective clients their job may not be complete til next spring.

4. JimP

JimP Hunter gatherer Premium Member

Formerly Rochester Hills, Finally! Wellston
    Be persistent, there are some really good ones out there.

I dug through the local phone book, called and left a message with 5 different painters in and around the Wellston area a bit over a month ago. I needed the deck washed, patched, sanded and re-stained before the cold weather hit. Told them we were seniors and could no longer get these type chores done ourselves.
    I had a young couple return the call that evening, the only ones. They were here the next morning with a quote. Very fair price including premium Sherman-Williams stain. Set up an appointment to get it done in two weeks after they finished a couple other jobs including a log cabin. Stalled two days because of rain, but right here on a Saturday. Prepped all day. Back in two days after everything dried out to finish the staining...
    They did an excellent job, attention to detail, neat, put everything back in it's place.
    I even tossed in a 10% bonus.
    I was so impressed I had them quote giving the whole house a wash. Again, very reasonable.
    Rained for two days again, but back they were on schedule with everything needed to reopen the outside well spigot and rewinterize when they were done. Mold and mildew areas gone, tree sap and bird poo etc, gone...another job very well done.
    Anyone in the Wellston, Ludington, Kaleva, Irons areas needs some work like that done PM me for highly recommended contact information.

bobberbill, NbyNW, TK81 and 9 others like this.
  5. stickman1978

stickman1978

The neighborhood my son moved into has about 250 homes. They had a bad hail storm this Spring. Almost every house needed a new roof. He moved in last month. Several roofing contractors were still doing roofs in the neighborhood.

6. on a call

on a call

:yeahthat:

7. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I went to a builder supply center in Gaylord (not a big box store) to ask about referrals to build an addition. They told me if I found a contractor that wasn't booked 6 to 8 months out to run from them.

TK81, anagranite, sullyxlh and 6 others like this.
  8. Michael Wagner

Michael Wagner

After calling 11 roofers only 4 called back and came out for an estimate. We went with a good crew in July and got on the list, they just did our roof 2 weeks ago. They are working 6 days a week pretty much dark til dark. If you`re good you`re busy.

stickman1978, tincanary and jimbo like this.
  9. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

With all due respect to the OP, all of the work he is looking to get done are small repair jobs. One of those jobs is with a company he hasn't paid for prior work. All would require contractors to invest time and travel away from larger projects that are probably on the agendas.

Until the backlog caused by the lockdown is taken care of, I doubt these projects are going to be a high priority for the folks he's looking to do the work.

10. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Just had roofing and siding crews at my house. Both crews spoke of having a hard time getting anyone to work. Supplies are a bit of an issue as well.

11. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Covid did slow down contractors during the initial mandated shutdown but I believe they are back to normal in the last 4 months or so.
    To me the issue is a shortage of contractors out there that you can trust the quality of work they perform.
    Over the years my family has spent at least 500k in contractor expenses using the SAME contractor. Right now my son is having a 35k basement remodel going on.
    He's getting older and has reduced his crew to 2 people and is approaching retirement. We know his family well, 10 boys and girls, and they are all OCD workers and will never retire.
    Never, never had an issue with the quality of his work.
    He and his crew are master craftsmen and their work is in high demand.
    Those people are few and far between. I'm lucky to know people that are totally trustworthy.

12. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Some of the roofers are taking advantage of the situation. My neighbor and I were in need of having our garages done. Quotes all over the place. 3400 for a 2 car? :coco:

Finally scored a crew that did mine for 1700 and his for 1900. It did take over a year to find this guy.

Michael Wagner and stickman1978 like this.
  13. tincanary

tincanary

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of connections many here have. Breaking out the phonebook is a foreign concept to me in that regard.

Gordon Casey and Shoeman like this.
  14. OnlyChild

OnlyChild

I've found that most contractors/Skilled Tradesmen are very poor business people. They have never been trained in customer service. I have some friends that are contractors and they either only want to work 3 days a week or are incapable of running a business.

15. tincanary

tincanary

A lot of the ones I know are always working, but there are some that definitely fit this description. One of them is a mason and he will work a whole bunch and make a lot of money, then slow down at some point until he's short on cash, rinse and repeat. He still comes out when I need him though.