Can't Depend On Contractors Anymore

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Polkahero, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Polkahero

Polkahero

Maybe this is a spinoff of the "ScrewUps" thread, but I'm posting this specifically to vent about the lack of good contractors in my area.

We had the gutters on our toolshed replaced last summer and they are already leaking. Left a message for the contractor we hired last Friday and haven't heard back yet.

Been waiting for almost a year now for our leaky faucets to get fixed from the heating/plumbing company we've used for years. They send monthly bills for late payment interest for the work they did a year ago that wasn't done right but they won't show up to fix their mistakes.

Been waiting for almost a month now to get the flashing around our chimney repaired. The contractor was supposed to come out this week but tomorrow is already Friday and he hasn't showed up yet. I don't expect him to either. Called C&L Ward and they can't get someone to come out until December?!

Called another contractor at least two months ago that doesn't cement work to repair an area in our toolshed. Said he would come out and check it out first, still waiting for that to happen.

What's the deal? Are these guys so backed up from the Covid shutdown, are there just not enough of them around, or do the ones out there just don't want to work hard anymore? Maybe we're an isolated case but this is intolerable.

wpmisport likes this.
  2. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Builders and contractors along with any skilled trades have been overwhelmed the last few years.

3. Seips85

Seips85

Heating and Cooling guy here, we are still backed up from the shutdown. Have appointments scheduled into January already.

4. hommer23

hommer23

House in our small neighborhood was staked out October 30, 2019, hole was dug the first week of November. Siding was put on in September 2020 about 5 months after the drywall was hung, garage doors went up last week and tile showers are going in this week. Move in date was June of 2020 at the latest when they started, as of the new date is sometime in November if all goes well. 13 months for a 1800ish square foot ranch.

5. jcam2412

jcam2412

Multiple factors. 1) backed up from lockdown. 2) increased demand from everybody at home deciding they want new windows / flooring / remodel / pole barn, etc. 3) contractors have been busy for years. Tons of trades people left after 2008 and never came back. Just not insanely busy like now.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

brushbuster, plmbmaster and Lumberman like this.
  6. flatfish

flatfish

called 4 places about price quotes on grinding 5 stumps, no one ever showed or called. Sane thing for having mant. on standby Gen. No call backs at all. One called ,I said I want to make a appt. She said for extra 65.00 for appt..... I said kiss my ...... Dont thing nobody cares for work. Must be nice. I beg for costumers.....

7. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

It's hunting season! And before that, fishing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    HUBBHUNTER2 likes this.
  8. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

There is absolutely no excuse for not letting you or any other customer know what is happening. If they say they will show up, then show up or let the customer know why you can't be there. This is totally unacceptable.
    I have had the same crap happen, so I write them off and move on, but I make sure to tell as many as I can that these people can not be trusted.
    I had a couple who didn't respond back, but then showed up much, much later. Sorry, I acted like I had no idea why they showed up at my house and sent them away. I told them when they were leaving if they had called or showed up when they said they would, I might have remembered.

9. Jimbos

Jimbos

I found a good one in my area who built my pole barn and this year while he was scrambling fit me in to do some siding and new door work.
    He knows that I pay up when due, don't play games, and don't make a million changes once we hash it out.

miruss likes this.
  10. Polkahero

Polkahero

Guess I need to learn a new trade, lol. If only I could overcome my fear of heights. . .

loomis82 likes this.
  11. Polkahero

Polkahero

Any chance you're in the Tri-City aka Great Lakes Bay area?

12. Shupac

Shupac

Planned to get roofing and siding this year. Signed the papers, put down deposit mid-June, was told we would get the roof in soon, since the roofing was considered essential and kept going during the shutdown, but it would be 10 weeks for the siding. OK, as long as it gets done. 1.5 weeks later, they showed up and put the roof on, all good. Was told in early September it would be another 10 weeks for the siding. At the beginning of this month I got a text saying I was #4 in line for siding. I got a text Monday saying the same thing. Labor shortage, I was told when I followed up.

Anybody handy with vinyl siding? I think you can write your own ticket in this town.

13. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It’s not just one thing it’s a multitude of things that added up causing this manpower and material shortage. Things that come to mind:
    The Great Recession caused a five year void on recruiting new workers into the building trades.
    Working from home has allowed many homeowners to get work done without missing work.
    Federal $600/week welfare payments on top of state unemployment insurance provided little incentive to return to work.
    $4 trillion in stimulus money did what it was intended to do, it put a tremendous amount of money in the hands of corporations and citizens who want to spend it on projects many have procrastinated on due to lack of funds.

14. Jimbos

Jimbos

NW Lower

15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Side gigs are crazy right now. Dad is being begged constantly to come out of retirement. The builder he worked with retired and a lot of guys now bypass the former middleman. And the first guy my dad calls and asks to help him...