Canoe question

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Jr.BowmanMI, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Jr.BowmanMI

Jr.BowmanMI

I snagged an old town discovery for a pretty good price this week and put a fresh coat of camo on it. I wasn't really looking for a 16 footer but couldn't pass it up. Anyway I was hoping I could get some ideas on transporting (also any things that may be helpful). My last big canoe I trailered because I had a car but now I was considering a bed extender with my truck.

Here's a pic of how I drove it home (very local) and new paint.
    IMG_20200927_130348.jpg IMG_20200925_183230.jpg
    Thanks!

wpmisport likes this.
  2. SteelShot

SteelShot

Bed extender could work. I have one but I think the longest stuff I’ve used with it is 12’ boards (5’8” truck bed). They aren’t that much and do come in handy even if it doesn’t work with canoe. A ladder rack would be my choice if a trailer was out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

When i hauled my canoes on my vans I had two cross racks that fastened to the drip rails. I put 1/2 inch galvanized pipe on both sides length wise. I would lift one end of the canoe on to one side them pick up the other end sliding it cross wise. I was able to spin it length wise from there and strap it down.

When I went to a full size pick with a topper up I did the same thing on the ladder rack.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  4. DLC

DLC

I use the bed extender for mine. Works good

5. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

i'd run a roof rack myself. *shrugs*

Sea Nags likes this.
  6. fishbuster

fishbuster

I love my bed extender. I'm to old to lift onto a roof rack.

7. Jr.BowmanMI

Jr.BowmanMI

I do like the extender and I bought a red led light for the back end. Really hate giving up bed space but until I can find a cap it is probably going to be the way to go. I was also thinking about flipping the extender so that it would sit level with the cab but that seems like it would be hard solo.

8. -Axiom-

-Axiom- Premium Member

Get an aluminum CargoMaster ladder rack, it will look nice and you will find so many uses for it that you will wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

Get the aluminum as the steel ones rust in a yr or 2.

9. Ken Martin

Ken Martin

Use an extender with the bed extender. Try to get to 75% of your canoe length supported and you be fine. We have used one for years with my 16'9" Coleman Scanoe. We load it in upright and put the heavy stuff in it next to the cab and stuff like life jackets on the other end.

10. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

I've used both for the hunting canoes. Bed extender isn't a bad option...but when you have an 18' canoe hanging out...it's a long ways back.

11. Jr.BowmanMI

Jr.BowmanMI

Well I ended up buying an extender off of Amazon because my local HF was sold out. Thanks for the options. I'll post some pics once it's here

12. Jr.BowmanMI

Jr.BowmanMI

Quick Update:

The canoe hauled great with the bed extender. I bought locking hitch pins for the public marsh. I learned that two guys with gear and a very anxious golden can make for some sketchy situations. Long story short... I've posted the canoe and hauler in the classifieds.

dinoday likes this.
  13. Puddler-Hunter

Puddler-Hunter

Get a Grumman Sportboat kind of a cross between a canoe and row boat but unlike a canoe it is very stable. I don't like canoes for the fact they are tippy. Start looking now for next season used ones are hard to come by but you will not be disappointed with one.

Shiawassee_Kid and Jr.BowmanMI like this.
  14. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

My first canoe that I still have was not tippy at all. I bought an old wood canoe for 10 bucks. It cost me $27 for the fiberglass cloth and resin back in the late 50's from Herters. Three of us would shoot carp out of it. Two standing up and one sitting paddling.

15. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

2016-10-20 13.48.41.jpg 23031474_10215368576676665_6667846966445232254_n.jpg 22791765_10215302362061341_995744031704372022_o.jpg canoes are definitely not all equal. i had michicraft that was tippy as hell. had an identical length no namer brand that was stable as heck. when you looked at them they didn't look much different. *shrugs*

get a sportboat if you want to stay in the long/skinny category. never once has it felt tippy and i've run 2 untrained dogs and my big ass in it many times.