close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Canoe hunting

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by riskybiz09, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

IMO putting outriggers/pontoon contraptions on a canoe sort of defeats the canoe's purpose (or at least what I find to be nice about them), which is portability and the ability to drag or paddle it places other boats cannot go.

riskybiz09 and mihunte like this.
  2. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

not these ones....very light weight and can slide in right up against the canoe or out to increase stabilization. https://www.sailboatstogo.com/content/stabilizer_length

riskybiz09 likes this.

3. good4080

good4080

Back into the reeds. Don't stand up. My canoe is 11' . Does the trick

riskybiz09 likes this.
  4. John Singer

John Singer

I hunted from the very same canoe several years ago. I used it in small ponds and lakes and a couple of the managed areas. I only fired a shot from the canoe when chasing cripples.

I have never tipped over a canoe that I did not want to tip over. If you need outriggers for a canoe, you should not be in a canoe. Use a boat instead.

riskybiz09 likes this.
  5. RMH

RMH Premium Member

Floated the Pigeon River several times for ducks with very good success. Even got a goose once. Deer hunted and killed deer from the canoe down the river also. Never tipped yet and I rarely sit. I do have a considerable amount of canoe time logged.

riskybiz09 likes this.
  6. Rick1973

Rick1973

Used to hunt using a 17' fiberglass canoe on the Bay and at Shiawassee. Did not shoot from it but used it for the dog (98#) 2 doz decoys w/weighted keels and anchors, gun, 3 boxes of shells each (on the Bay), food, and buddy. Never had an issue. I have a fair amount of time in a canoe and a pretty good sense of balance. Just pulled it in the reeds/corn and stood next to it.
    Read about a tip to stabilize a canoe to shoot out of: Person took 4 poles, wooden closet bars or handrail rails, that they pushed down into the bottom at an angle so they crossed over the seat areas. Tied/bungee corded/wired/??? the tops together. That pinched them to the gunwales holding the canoe in place. They hung camo netting over one side and shot out of it. Don't remember if they attached the canoe (through seat bracing area) at the gunwales to the poles or not. I never tried the pole thing. If I did I would look at using gray plastic conduit (1-1/2"??) or schedule 40.

riskybiz09 likes this.
  7. walter sniper

walter sniper

There a really nice Grumman sport canoe for sale with a trailer on CL in Wisconsin. 900$
    If your really bent on a canoe style it would be worth the drive or ferry ride

riskybiz09 likes this.
  8. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Those things look cool, but IMO are just a waste for hunting. If the OP is concerned about tipping a canoe I think he'd be better off with a small jon boat.

x2. I tipped a canoe one time in my life, and it was on a 10 day paddle in 3' waves we couldn't avoid due to a storm that came out of nowhere, and we got slammed into a rock and cracked open the canoe hull.

You shouldn't have to worry about tipping unless you have the canoe inappropriately loaded, get into it wrong or are monkeying around or have a poorly trained retriever or hunting buddy.

riskybiz09 and John Singer like this.
  9. EMU_Flyer

EMU_Flyer

How do you or would you enter and exit a canoe, let's say in waist deep water? Will it not flip?

10. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

Very carefully that's another reason i liked the outrigger stablizers on mine

11. SL80

SL80

First, poke around with the paddle and make sure that the bottom is solid enough. I use the paddle in one hand as a wading staff and kick both feet over the side and slide down until my feet hit the bottom. Only problem with this is if you are in bottomless muck you are committed and you're going to sink. To get back in, push up to get your butt on the side of the canoe and lay back until you can kick both feet over the side. I'm 215lbs and I do this all the time. I've never dumped a canoe. If you try this way, just make sure that there are no sharp edges or rivets to shred your waders.

riskybiz09 likes this.
  12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I've canoed the boundary waters, Isle Royale, all over the NW rivers, sculled up probably 100 ducks from mine, and hit all the managed units. Flipped once. While sitting on it. In 8" of water. A long, cold way from the Jeep.

Lesson there, get a thick wall gallon jug with a handle (ice tea type), cut the bottom off, and tie it to a seat support with a loop knot so you have a way to bail it out. Canoeing 2 miles back in the dark with a canoe full of water and 1" of freeboard is not fun.

Not all canoes are the same. Mine's a big, wide, heavy flat bottom poly canoe that's a tank and a beast to paddle. Wide enough at 14' that I had to make extensions for the roof rack on my Jeep. I've been in other lighter, narrower, rounded bottom fast canoes that were spooky just shifting your weight.

riskybiz09 likes this.
  13. just ducky

just ducky

have used canoes for decades, and have hunted out of them, and used them only for transportation to and from hunting spots. The one big problem for me in hunting from a canoe is you just can't twist/rotate on shots. Makes it very difficult in waterfowling, where twisting shots are a regular thing. You're better off to get to a spot in the marsh and get out and stand next to it, as some suggested. Use it for storing your gear, but don't hunt out of it

riskybiz09 likes this.
  14. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

I have a 15' Coleman. You're ok if you shoot directly forward from inside it but any kind of crossing shot and the recoil means you're getting wet.

We use my canoe to get gear into tough spots, then hunt away from it.

riskybiz09 likes this.
  15. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Ha, funny, that time I mentioned above when the storm waves dunked us and split the canoe hull on a rock was at the boundary waters. Great place. That accident was on day 1 of a 10 day paddle, and we duct taped the canoe hull and it stayed dry the rest of the trip. Good stuff that duct tape is.

I would avoid doing that, especially in any type of water bottom that is unstable, like marsh muck. The best way to get out of a canoe is to paddle to shallow water.

If you have to get out of canoe in deeper water, and you're sure the bottom isn't too mucky, I sort of roll my body out of it so the moment my body sort of teeters the canoe such that it starts to tip it's already at the point where my body is simultaneously slipping out of the canoe. But one bit of a delay in doing this and you risk tipping, which is why I suggest only exiting in shallow water, especially when wearing lots of gear it makes it even tougher.

riskybiz09 likes this.