close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Canoe hunting

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by riskybiz09, Oct 8, 2017.

1. riskybiz09

riskybiz09

Well.. I was poking around on Craigslist and ended up coming across a 15' Coleman for 100.00. messaged the guy and am going to pick it up Friday. Interested in hearing opinions of those who have hunted from them.

2. Bucman

Bucman

Life jacket!
    Rope or floatation device on your weapon.
    Good way to get away from some of the croud.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.

3. ON ICE

ON ICE

They're fine for getting around in but I wouldn't plan on hunting out of it. Especially without stabilizing outriggers. Too tippy

4. riskybiz09

riskybiz09

Dang. I thought I stumbled on a great deal. If it isn't sturdy then that defeats my purpose I suppose. I have a 10' journey kayak too but I really want to hunt with my pooch too.

5. craigrh13

craigrh13

It all depends on how you position it. If you can push the canoe into some thick crap like cattails or brush where it’s stabilized than it doesn’t matter. Be smart about it and it’s not an issue.

6. Smallmouth Chaser

Smallmouth Chaser

You could add some type of stabilizer to the canoe to make is more stable for shooting or pull it into the reeds so it can not flip with shooting. They are nicer for hauling gear than the smaller kayaks but I would definitely practice with your dog in the boat with a load of gear before heading out in the dark with your gun and everything.

You may want to figure out how to secure your sinking items just incase you flip. A life jacket is very important--some of the cheaper canoes are a little tippy.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  7. wavie

wavie

U can pull it into cattails. Tie rope (waxxed rope worked best) to cross brace up close to side of canoe. Lean to side u tied rope to, grab a handful of cattails n tie loose end around cattails. Tie it off really tight. Repeat on other side. You'd be surprised how stable u can make it.
    I wouldn't encourage u to stand and shoot but I've watched a friend do it all day long.

8. Outdoors Fool

Outdoors Fool

Look into a sportspal, can't get much more stable, as canoes go

Duck-Hunter and Take'm like this.
  9. duckaddict

duckaddict

Spent $300 on my canoe, took it fishing a couple times to get the hang of it. Tipped it twice in April water. Haven’t touched it since. Not worth it with waders, November water temps, 400am, no one around. Nope, nope, nope.

fishbuster and Dtb810 like this.
  10. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

I used to run a sportspal 15' squarestern with a 5hp outboard. I had the outrigger stabilizers on it and with them set out you could stand up and walk around in that canoe. Kinda wish I would have kept that rig..excellent one man set up for rivers and small lakes.

11. Ash

Ash

I get to my spot in one of my canoes (grumman Sportboat or michicraft). Then hide it and hunt standing outside of it. If that's what you mean, they are perfect for flooded areas that would be hard to get into with a big boat. They are easy to hide. I've never actually hunted while sitting in it so I can't speak to that.

12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Jam it backwards into the cover and stand next to it. Put your gear in it and have the dog stand at the bow.

13. Dag_Gummit

Dag_Gummit

I'm hunting out of a canoe this year. It's a 12'9" Goldenhawk. I've fished out of it and it's pretty stable - the plan is to back into the weeds and use it like a layout blind, shooting out over the front. That way it's more stable.

14. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I disagree. I think in most situations duck hunting you're better off hiding the boat and hunting from a marsh seat. In that regard, I think canoes are a great way to duck hunt. You can fit a marsh seat, 12-18 mag decoys no prob, and still have room for your retriever and his/her marsh blind. I have canoed with much heavier loads no problem. Use the canoe to set the deeks, then stash it 100 yards away or in the woods.

Life vest goes without saying. Some device for saving your shotgun if you dunk is also advised, whether it's a tether of some sort or floating scabbard.

I am also a firm advocate of keeping a life vest on a retriever when boating--not because you don't have confidence in a retriever's ability to swim if you take a dunk, but if you are to take a dunk it puts you in a better position to deal with taking care of yourself, boat and gear without having to worry as much about your retriever. Dogs also sometimes have a tenancy to swim towards somebody and sort of claw at them, and I think a dog life vest helps with this. The one I have from cabelas was like $45, it's camo, but has removable reflective strips which I think are great when motoring when it's dark.

riskybiz09 likes this.
  15. OnHoPr

OnHoPr

Family had one for about 35 years. They are a little wobbly, but never tipped. Not sure about the pooch in it though. I duck hunted with it @ PM in the '90s. $100, you got a great deal. It is a fine BASELINE for duck hunting with a couple of guys & pooch. It should be modified though or a couple of add ons if a pooch and/or partner accompanies. Trick it out cheaply and you will be/should be satisfied.

Suggestions; this is with the pooch or whatever. Make a couple of pontoons that attach to the center bar. Foam crab pot floats and conduit or 4 or 6" galvanized stove pipe filled with Great Stuff 36" long for pontoons. Google DIY canoe pontoon ideas, keep them sorta tighter to the canoe. This will definitely stabilize the canoe. Make a couple of ski pole type post for when you are blinded up. If you are alone with pooch, sit in the stern seat facing backwards. This will stabilize the canoe in itself a bit and the pooch in the stern (front) will push the bow down so the canoe will track better. Take a piece of 3/8 plywood and fasten to the gunwales at the stern seat and forward area for the pooch to sit on. Take another piece of 3/8 plywood and put it on the floor behind the bow seat which is now the stern where your feet will go. It is a pretty light canoe and the fiberglass is a little flexible towards the center section of the canoe. If you have a partner get him a piece to. If alone you can put a board out in front of you across the gunwales to put your weapon on if you wanted to do a little jump shooting with it on selected bodies of water. This board might also be able to have oar locks ;), or you could still paddle. Put a side mount 30 to 50 lb thrust electric behind the seat and the battery up near the front (stern seat) to help with balance and tracking. Put a swivel seat on it. Maybe make a dog incline off the pontoon and gunwale if it is strong enough.

Trick it out, customize it. It can be made into a fine one person car topper/pickup box hunting vessel. Just use your add ons for whatever water or style that you will be hunting. With a push pole you can do 3" of water. You can figure out camo netting. With the pontoons it will handle a decent chop. A couple of hours here and there and it will be ready for the flight birds.

bronc72 and riskybiz09 like this.