canada fishing license refund

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Plug Tug, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Plug Tug

Plug Tug

Any web site or phone number world be appreciated.

2. Zib

Zib

Send them an email through their website and request a refund & also provide your license & outdoors card numbers. I received a response back the next day stating that it could take 4 to 8 weeks to process the refund but it only took a week.

https://www.ontario.ca/feedback/contact-us?id=48293&nid=45471

sledman and 6667supersport like this.

3. branchmasterz

branchmasterz

I called them a week ago for the 6th time in 5 months asking for a refund (Email only resulted in automated non-answer responses). I bought my license the first week of May, since they reported they would open fishing by May 15. Unfortunately they only opened fishing for residents. They said they were only refunding licenses purchased before the COVID shutdown in March. For those requesting refunds after that, they were keeping a list in case the government decided to refund others. They said check back every 2-3 week because they might change their mind. I commented that they should have not allowed online purchasing of non resident licenses until they were sure fishing would be allowed instead of taking everyone’s money and not refunding it. The license was not cheap.

4. Section 8

Section 8

If I'm remembering correctly, they only give refunds if the license was bought before a certain date. I cant remember that date but it may have been before May 2020

I'm not 100% sure on this but that is what I remember

5. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I emailed them 3 days ago. Crickets

6. mastical

mastical

Thanks for posting this, I needed a reminder

7. Scott321

Scott321

The general consensus is if you purchased your 2020 license before the border closing (March 17) you can be considered for a refund. Most have got them or getting them.

Heck, we couldn't even use our boats for two weeks in MI . You would have been a fool to purchase a Canadian license in late April/early May. It was officially over back then.

8. Captain

Captain Team Yukon

Grindstone City(Fish),Oil City(Hunt),Macomb Twp.
    Hmm I might have to apply for the refund..we always get our tags in late Dec in preparation for Simcoe and St Luke’s ice fishing for which we did use a few times..

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

9. Dr Hyatt

Dr Hyatt

I sent in for a refund on sept 26th. We’ll see what happens.

10. lastflight

lastflight

Has anyone done this who has the three year license? 2020 is the second of three years for me, not sure how they will handle that.

sureshot006 likes this.
  11. KI Jim

KI Jim

I have e-mailed them twice-no response. I bought my license April 4.

12. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I have the 3 year and 2020 was the final year of it. I asked if they'd be refunding 2020 since everyone else seems to be able to get a refund when purchasing an annual in 2020. Stands to reason you and I should be entitled to one as well.

lastflight likes this.
  13. sledman

sledman

Wow thanks for post the wife and I bought in
    Jan. for Simcoe will get in touch with them...
    Thanks again for sharing

14. Zib

Zib

I purchased mine on March 21st. Requested the refund back on August 18th & money was back in my account a week later. I did fish in Ontario waters on April 6th & had the Ontario guys giving me a lot of stares but thought that was because I was catching fish & didn't know at the time that the border was closed. :rolleyes:

Here's the message that I sent them & the response I got back a day later:

To whom it may concern,

I'm a U.S. citizen from Michigan. I purchased an Ontario Sport fishing license this past March but due to COVID-19 and the Canadian government not allowing U.S. citizens to cross the boarder I have not been able to utilize my Ontario fishing license. Can I request a refund? My name is Mike XXXXXX. My Outdoors Card number is XXXXXXX and my NR Sport Fishing License number is XXXXXXXX.

Thank you

Hello Mike;

Your refund for consideration will be submitted this week. As noted below, this process can take 4-6 weeks.

Regards,

[email protected]

mastical, 6667supersport and Captain like this.
  15. towner

towner

Got my license in mid March. Called 2 days ago. Seemed to be no problem. Refund to my credit card is pending. We'll see!